26. The Mysteries Of Trading

The smoke from the small hut intensifyed and the group of three stood there dumbfounded staring at the door that had been slammed in their faces.

The men shared a look of confusion. Elinor let her head fall, hanging it low in defeat as their seemingly only solution had just slammed the door shut.

Warm heavy tears streamed down Elinors face as David silently carried her back towards the car. He cradled her in his lap as he sat down leaning back against the tire of the car. His chest clenched for his little mate, who carried so much fear right now, and he could do nothing to ease it.

His fingers gently caressed the side of her neck and ever so often he grazed her mark, sending a rush of euphoria through both of them. If only she knew he could feel every emotion she could, and wanted nothing but to take away all the hurt.

Stefan watched the two from afar, his heart aching, knowing he will never know that connection to another soul.

Angrily he turmed to the door and banged it again. The small witch appeared in the doorway, carefully looking out before opening.

"Jeg vil lave en byttehandel." I want to trade. He stated. The witch's eyes went wide, never had she refused an offer for a trade, and she defidently could not refuse this one.

She opened the door letting him enter.

David watched his cousin from afar and was about to get up to help. But then the door slammed quickly behind them. He cast a look down at his inconsolable mate, who were silently crying. Her limp body resting against him. A small tear left his own eye as he prayed to the gods that Stefan would come out, not empty handed.

Meanwhile Stefan was pushed through the hut by Anna, who nudged him into a chair much to small for him.

"Så du vill byta?" So you wanna trade. She smiled at him, her eyes showed excitement. "Berätta för mig, vad vill du ha?" Tell me, what do you want? Her gaze turned menazingly dark as she watched him.

"Jeg vil vide hvad der skete med Elinor, og hvordan vi kan redde hende." I wanna know what happened with Elinor and how we can save her. He stated calmly, though his anger towards the witch in front of him were obvious. His voice were strained and fists clenched.

From the corner of the room, a black crow came and landed og the shoulder of Anna, whose smile had not faltered.

"Ahhh... Du vill se sanningen?" You wanna see the truth? She asked lowly. "Jag tror redan att du vet, jag handlar bara rättvist. Öga för öga, om du vill se sanningen." I bet you know this already, but i only trade equal, an eye for an eye, to see the truth.

The hysteric look in her face got worse. She dragged a finger down across one of her eyes, as she laughed lowly. Stefan bit his lip tightly as he took a deep breath.

Hesitantly he nodded, understanding the consequense of this trade. Anna quickly grabbed his hand and shook on the trade with childish enthusiasm. She backed away and held out her hand, as the crow adjusted itself on her shoulder.

The fire in the fireplace roared up, and the walls started shaking. The witch mumbled lowly as she kept her hand pointed towards the young wolf. With a snap of her fingers the crow flew towards Stefan and landed on his head.

As if time slowed around him, Stefan felt the crow sink its feet into his skin on the top of his head, before it dipped its head down in front of his face.

A shrill scream left the crow just before it yanked its head forward, right into Stefans eye. Stefan cursed out loud as he crumbled and covered his face. The crow jumped of his head and flew in front of him, hovering by his head.

Violently the crows feet started clawing at his face. He screamed in agony as he tried prying the bird away.

He trashed harshly but to no avail.

With one last eardeaffening scream from Stefan, the crow flew back to the witchs shoulder, holding out one of its feet to her. Stefan had fallen to his knees and looked up just in time to see the crow drop his own eye into the hand of Anna.

An eye for an eye.