35. A New Friend

My legs were shaking beneath me and I struggled to hold my weight. I felt David aggressively trying to reach me, but knew deep down that I would be putting him in danger if i let him in. Though I craved the comfort of his deep voice.

I sat down just outside the scew door and covered my ears. Tears sprung in my eyes and the situation was slowly dawning on me.

I just killed her. I litterally killed her.

I was bawling by now, and I couldn't fight Davids attempts in the midst of the heavy emotions. He broke treough to me, his voice instantly calming me down.

Elinor please. Answer me.

He seemed so distressed and guilt washed through me as new tears came.

I'm sorry David, everything just... Hit me...

I said.

I am okay, I wont disturb you anymore, sorry.

Darling, you are scaring me, i can feel your pain, your fear. Please talk to me.

I had to close the connection, I could already feel I would not be able to lie to him.

I have to go David. Trust me, I am fine.

I made sure to block him out before I shakily tried to get up again. The screams of Anna had stopped, and I knew she had now passed. Perhaps she is with the gods, like she talked about. With Loke, her kind's god?

I tried to make myself feel better, just as I had when my mother had died, I also told myself stories about how she was well in heaven. But I hadn't killed my own mother...

The invasive thoughts were overpowering as I leaned against a tree near the small hut.

As I stood and massaged my temples and tried to calm down, I didn't hear the flaps of wings, before I felt the weight on my shoulder.

Surprised I jumped back and whipped my head to the side.

There, on my shoulder, sat Munin. Anna's crow had landed on my shoulder. My eyes were wide with shock as I saw something in one of his feet.

I reached up and Munin dropped it into my hand. It was a leatherbound pocketbook, on the front something was written that I did not understand. Något för något.

I softly opened the book, and found handwritten passages, all of them in what I assumed were swedish.

"They are spells." A voice next to me croacked. Again I jumped and looked around. But noone was there.

"Don't be afraid Elinor. I have belonged to Anna in a hundred and sixtyeight years, now I belong to you." With wide scared eyes I watched as Munin talked, his beak just slightly open as the words seemingly flew out of him.

I opened my eyes wide as I tried to fanthom everything that was happening.
I felt my mouth open and close several times before finally just closing.

"Why did she speak english with you?" I asked dumbfounded by the whole situation.

"She didn't. She spoke the language of the gods, as are you right now." Munin told me. "I and my brother are informants, to inform people we can't have language be a barrier. Everyone understands the language of the gods."

My head was spinning and I did not know what to make of the situation.

"Your mate is still in the forrests of Finland. Do you want to find him?" Munin asked me, trying to snap me out of the trance.

With a sudden feeling of determination I straightened my back and looked back at the hut.

"No."