1. The meeting

"A devil is sent to Earth once in a century. A chance he is given to free himself from the curse he had been bestowed with and become an angel. In that time, he is given a mission to complete before his time on Earth is over.

Knowing that the devils were known to be liars, cunning yet beautiful charmers, it wasn't easy for the Gods to just hand them the title of an angel. Giving them the title of an angel was equivalent to submission for the gods. So they laid down a few criteria."

I shifted in my seat as I became more invested. Tucking a strand of hair behind my ears I asked, "What were the criteria, grandma?"

She looked at me with her old eyes and smiled showing me the wrinkles etched all around the corners, "The criteria you ask?" She thought for a while, "The gods knew the power humans held over their beings. Once the devil is here he is to stay with a human for all his time here. The only time he is spared from this criteria is if the girl is already married or in love with someone else before she turns twenty-four."

A chuckle escaped my mouth, "As if staying with a human is difficult."

My grandma looked at me with those knowing eyes, she looked at the red woolen ball in her hands before continuing, "He is supposed to help the human in any way possible. He has to keep them safe. He has to be there for them. Doing all that without falling in love."

"It's still not difficult, don't you think?"

She sighed before looking ahead but I knew her mind was somewhere else, "Who knows. Only their kind can know, don't you think?" She chuckled at me lightly, "When we humans can fall in love at first sight, I wonder how immune one has to be to stick together without catching feelings."

I nodded my head at her. I guess she was right. But I knew better than anyone to not take these tales much more than some stories just passed down generations to keep people hooked. From the beginning of humankind, we have always found ways to justify and prove the existence of the things which don't meet the eyes.

"Grandma?"

She hummed in response.

I shifted in my seat again and sat properly to face her. The sunlight from the french windows was touching the sides of her face,

"What happens if the devil falls in love?"

She thought for a while looking around before saying in her quivering voice, "The human should not fall in love."

I shook my head at her. That's not what I meant,

"What if they both end up falling for each other? What happens then?"

"The devil has to make a choice and leave nonetheless. If he refuses, he has to face the consequences which doesn't end up good. For either of them."

"How?"

"I don't know sweetheart. I wish I knew. But I don't."

I pouted before standing up while rubbing my hands together, "It's just a myth so it doesn't matter." I laughed.

She shrugged her shoulders, "Is it?"

I stared at her as I stood there frozen in my place, "What are you talking about? Of course, it's just a myth. Devils? Angels? Who will believe in that... The story was very interesting grandma, don't get me wrong. But it's just a myth everyone is told."

She sighed before closing her eyes, "It is a tale, Avery."

Tale or not it was the same thing for me. None of them existed.

I could sense her disappointment. I went and sat down beside her. Taking her hands in mine I said, "Maybe it's true. But it still doesn't have anything to do with me or us, so arguing over it is stupid. Let me help you with the work as I took a day off today."