24. An old friend or an enemy?

He watched me for some time with those emerald green eyes, trying to make sure it was me he was looking at and no one else.

In a swift moment, he was in front of me. Holding me by my arms and trying to inspect me,

"Are you okay?" There was a heaviness in his voice as he observed my face, "how could you just vanish on me?" When he was sure that I wasn't physically hurt, he took a step back in relief before covering his face with his hands, "I could not even reach your phone," he peered at me through his fingers, "do you have any idea what all went through my mind?"

I couldn't utter any word, he noticed my silence because he mirrored my silence before cocking his head to the side, "What's wrong, Avery? Did you come across anyone from another realm?" He was on alert as he let his eyes look around for any danger.

I shook my head which only made him furrow his brows at me, "then what is it?"

For a moment I contemplated telling him about the panic attack I just had but that meant telling him about how I got lost, apparently panicked for no reason and came across Connor. Knowing Elrod, I didn't trust him enough to bring Connor up. He might demand to see him right away, which I doubt I wanted especially after almost feeling like I died.

I looked up at him and took in his gaze before taking in a deep breath, "It's nothing. Let's go."

He looked at me sceptically. He could tell something was up but he decided not to pressurise me as he just nodded his head at me.

His eyes fell on my pants— covered in dirt— I dusted them off, looking away from him. He stared at me for a while and it seemed he wanted to say something, he opened his mouth but before any voice could come out of his throat, the white-haired owner of the stall beside me came back and groaned,

"You are still here."

I turned to him and apologised quickly— almost feeling bad for even standing here, "I'm leaving. Thank you so much for letting me stay here."

He rolled his eyes and waved his hands at me, then he looked at Elrod and pointed a finger at him, "Is he the one?"

I gave him a quizzical look.

He let out a frustrated noise from the back of his throat, "Is he the one you were looking for? The one who left you behind?"

"He is,"

Elrod's eyes snapped to me and he gave me a bewildered look, "I left you behind?"

As a matter of fact, he did. I don't care what anyone says, he should have noticed earlier that I was not with him.

"Yes," I stated which made him raise his brows in astonishment and look up while he let his mind wander off with thoughts. Probably thinking how in the name of God did he leave me behind.

"Take my advice," I looked at the owner of the stall, "never settle for anyone who would leave you behind."

"Sir, I didn't," Elrod tried to speak in his defence but the owner was not having it because he cut off Elrod and continued speaking,

"They left you once, they'll do it again."

"I won't." There was determination in Elrod's voice, "it was a mistake from my side, and I won't let it repeat." He looked back at me and an indescribable look covered his face before he spoke, "if you would excuse us."

The man waved his hands in dismissal with exasperation— waiting for us to finally go away.

Elrod's eyes never left my face with the same look covering his features. Although he announced our departure, none of us made any move as he continued looking at me.