18. The clingy fairy

"Yet another shady place?" I asked Elrod— watching the vast stretch of nothingness but a few trees and sand in front of us.

I swear to god, either their kind have a problem or they like shady place which is enough to keep a person away from them.

Then again, they cannot kill someone blatantly in front of someone. Which reminds me... I don't want to die.

Elrod walked in front of us before turning his head to look at me, "Wait until you meet her,"

Her.

Yet another woman. I shuddered at the thought of what happened back in the dungeon. I looked down at my hand which was still bandaged but felt better.

Let's not let something like this repeat again.

I huffed out some air and felt Kevin behind me huffi- no scratch that- desperate for air.

"How long are we going to walk?" He cried.

Lorra had a poker face as usual as she answered him, "Until we reach her,"

He glared at her, "No shit, Sherlock."

"Just shut up," Lorra said after a while.

"I didn't even say anything," Kevin complaint with heavy breaths.

"I am your sister, I just know it when you are going to spit non- sense,"

I looked at them confused. What the actual fuck is going on?

"Let them be," Elrod answered making me look at him, "the weirdness and the opposite personality makes them feel more like home."

I looked back at them, this is how siblings would act around each other. When I think about it, I have never heard about their family ever.

"Where are their parents?"

Elrod was silent for a while and tried to look ahead of him, "They don't have one,"

They don't have one? Did they die? Did they leave them?

"They don't exist," Elrod clarified his context.

"Then how-" I started but stopped not knowing if it was the right thing to ask.

But how the fuck do they exist?

"I don't know," Elrod sighed squinting under the sun, "We just exist. No recollection of our parents whatsoever."

"You too?"

He hummed in response, "I was just there existing as a devil. It's not like I had a choice to become one," he smiled at me but there was a hidden sadness behind that smile, "when I was sent to Earth, I still didn't have any family. But this is what I accomplished in the time I have been waiting for you," he referred to his company.

"How long?" I asked.

"Ninety- seven years." He answered, I could hear the people in the distance now. We were close but my ears were far away as I stared at him.

Ninety- seven years... damn, that's long and lonely without any family.

"That would have been lonely,"

He laughed, "Are you worried about me?"

I looked away from him, "No," I could see him slowing his pace down to match me.

"Are you sure, Avery?" He asked me mischievously.

"Definitely," I lied knowing damn well that I would feel bad for anyone after knowing they have been alone for almost all their life.