20. We are dating?

I was driving down to my mother's house today. I couldn't wait to meet grandma and hear more about her learnings and all of her stories. I couldn't wait to hear how she and grandpa met for the first time and it was a magical moment where it felt like a Cupid struck them with his bow, for the umpteenth time.

I increased the volume on the radio and bopped my head to the song and looked outside the window, just enjoying the cold wind blowing all around me. I smiled and admired the car for it was given to me by one and only Deandre Elrod to help me go to my mother's.

Unwillingly, my mind went back to Deandre Elrod and his thoughts clouded my head. Even while driving, even if not wanting to, I could not get his image out of my head. The image of his face so close to mine. The feeling of his thumb on my lips and the colour in his empty eyes. I could see it all in my head and no matter how much I tried, I couldn't get him out at all anymore.

He was stuck there. I didn't want to think about him, but I couldn't just help myself.

I tried to focus on driving and the song but just like before; the image of his fingers covering my face and his breathing flashed through my head.

Goddamit. What was wrong with me?

I needed to focus on the surprise visit I was about to give to my mom right now.

I was passing by the fields of corn when my phone rang. I looked down and for some reason, I was expecting the call to be from Deandre Elrod because he is the only person who likes to meddle with me when I am in the middle of something and on the verge of getting his thoughts out of my mind but I was surprised when I saw my mom's name pop up on the screen.

"Hey," I picked up the call— not taking my eyes off the road.

"Are you home?" She asked me and for some reason, I could hear a car honking in some distance.

Where was she?

"Not right now, why would you ask?"

"I am coming over," she sounded excited, "I wanted to surprise you,"

No doubt I was her daughter.

I stopped the car at a corner and pulled the phone closer to my ear, "You are what?"

"Coming over," She said carefully, "Don't you want me to?"

She was the one who needed to be surprised, not the other way around. I cried internally listening to her.

"No. No. No," I shook my head and tried to laugh, "That's not it. It's just surprising, that's all. Haha."

Also, you won't find anything at my house because I moved in with a devil. So that will be suspicious. Oh my god.

"Mom?" I asked slowly, "How long till you reach?"

"Half an hour,"

I almost wanted to bang my head against the window. It will take me almost one hour to turn around and go back. Not to mention, there is literally NOTHING in my empty house.

"I am not at home, can you look around the market for a while until I come back?" I wanted to convince her, I needed her to be convinced.

"Uh sure,"

"Thanks," and hung up quickly on her.

I was in the middle of backing my car and turning around while dialling Elrod's number. He picked up on the third ring,

"Do you miss me already?" There was amusement in his voice but I had no time for jokes.

"GO TO MY HOUSE AND I DON'T CARE BUT JUST FILL IT WITH THINGS THAT MAKE IT LOOK LIKE I LIVE THERE," I yelled into the phone.