5. No Ryan Reynolds

I just got home and went to hang my handbag in the corner. I cracked my neck to relieve it from all the stress built up during the day, most of which by the way was given by none other than Deandre Elrod. The guy doesn't seem to understand the meaning of the word 'Go.'

I took a deep breath before pulling my hair into a bun. I was about to go into the kitchen to check if I had something to eat when the doorbell rang.

It must be Mrs Pollen. She would always bring me new recipes she tried at home now and then, meanwhile, that meant I didn't have to cook after a long day.

Oh my gosh, I swear to god she is a life saviour. She just magically knows when I am tired to grace me with her presence and her delicious food.

I hopped happily towards the door and threw it open. As soon as I opened the door, the smile on my face faded and I went on to close the door back. Before it could close again Elrod stuck his foot between the door.

"Remove it," I said in a threatening way—still holding tightly onto the door.

"Take me in." He smirked.

I stared at him wildly through the little space cracked open.

Wasn't the office enough that he had to come all the way here and annoy me? What does he even want for god's sake?

"I just told you, take me in." He repeated himself.

I squinted my eyes at him, "Why would I take in a pervert like you?"

"Because I am the CEO of the company you work at."

"And we are playing that card now," I muttered looking down.

"What?" He asked amused pretending he couldn't hear me.

I smiled back mockingly before shaking my head, "Nothing." And opened the door.

To my surprise, he wasn't alone. Nope. He decided to bring himself his whole wardrobe in the suitcase he was holding in his other hand which was hidden from me until now.

Shit no, this was not what I expected.

I had not opened the door completely so I returned and tried to close it back in his face after seeing him with a whole fucking suitcase.

He stuck his foot again making me groan in frustration.

"I knew you would do that." He tilted his head to the side.

"Yeah!" I stated as a matter of fact, "What did you expect from me after seeing your whole wardrobe with you? I thought you wanted to come inside for a tea, not MOVE IN, you pervert."

He sighed before holding his hand out— all this while his foot was still stuck in between the door, "I have already told you, I am not a pervert. Secondly, this is not my whole wardrobe. If anything, this is the most basic essentials I could have brought with me. Seeing," he looked inside and ran his eyes around, "how your house cannot afford all of my likings and wardrobe."

My mouth dropped open as soon as those words left this man's mouth. What did he just say? Not only does he turn up unannounced but has the nerve to insult my house IN FRONT OF ME while TRYING to move in.

"No one asked you to live in this small house which cannot afford you." I spat sourly.

He stared at me blankly before creases formed on his forehead as he shook his head to himself, "Shit, this was not how it was supposed to go."

"It did, though."

He looked at me pleadingly, "Let me in."

I shook my head. I was not ready to take him in before, and not at all now.

He tried to look at me innocently through his mesmerising green eyes and as handsome as he looked, it didn't change the fact that he was a pervert trying to move in with me.

My stomach growled asking for food. I looked down and then looked at Elrod who had his brows raised.

"I can buy you food." He offered— putting on a charming smile.

The last time I remember we went to have food, he gave me everything but food. Dizziness, confusion, frustration, a pair of wings, a fucking forest. I don't think I wanted more.

"Why don't you not make a scene in front of my apartment and go home?" I asked nicely.

"Why don't you take me in to stop me from making a scene?" He asked grinning.

"Because I don't like you!" I whisper-yelled at him so that it wasn't too loud to disturb everyone on the floor.

"As if I do!" He imitated me.

I stared at him wide-eyed before chuckling unbelievably, "Then why don't you leave me the fuck alone?"

He looked around to make sure nobody else was here before leaning in a little, "You know why."

"Because of that tale?" I asked shaking my head.

"Of course!"

"You don't have to worry about that. I am refusing to stick with you so just continue on your 'mission' or whatever it is." I tried to tell him off but that only made him look at me as if I had gone mad.

"As if that would work. Trust me, if it worked like that, I would have made that happen. Do you think I want to be burdened with a mortal whose life is like a string that can be cut any second? That is the last thing I'd want."

I pursed my lips tight. He makes it sound like I was a burden. This pervert was playing tricks on me and I wasn't liking it!

"I will help you." I muttered before glaring at him, "But that doesn't mean that I will move in with you. I don't remember the tale telling the devil to live with the human."

"What are you afraid of?" He asked me with a smile on his face.

I eyed him upside down— unsure, "Uh, frogs?"

The smile on his face dropped as fast as a fly avoiding its death.

"It feels like I am talking to an infant." He closed his eyes before looking at me seriously, "Ms Viotto, I meant what are you afraid of that you don't want to move in with me? Are you afraid that you will fall in love with me?" He smirked at the end before muttering to himself, "I cannot believe she made me say that."

We both looked at each other without any emotions on our faces before I burst out laughing in his face. I clutched onto the handle of the door tightly for support as I continued laughing, making Deandre all the more confused at my sudden burst.

"You?" I stopped laughing, "Fall in love with you? That's the last thing to be worried about.  Maybe, the more pressing reason might be that we don't know each other."

He nodded in approval, "Good to know that I don't have to worry about you falling for my charms because if you did... that'd be a problem. Also, if you think that I might do something to you, you don't have to worry about that either. I am just carrying my duty, Ms Viotto, which is to keep you safe. I don't have any interest in love whatsoever. Besides," he smiled innocently at me, "you are not my type. I prefer blondes."

My mouth gape open before I closed it and composed myself. Not his type? As if I want to be one. I know myself enough to know my worth. Fuck him. He was no Ryan Reynolds that I would be dying to be his type.

"As if you are my type." I rolled my eyes before looking at the doorknob. I could hear him chuckle as he finally removed his foot from between the door.

He asked me again if I was ready to come to his house and I just shook my head again. I was just not ready to move into his house or let him move in with me, 'his type or not.' That was just not happening.

He sighed before holding the sides of his temple, "You are so difficult. Why can't you make it a little easy for me?"

Because I don't like you? I don't know you? And you get on my nerves?

"No matter how much you keep denying, in the end, you will have to." He smiled knowingly before leaving with his suitcase trailing behind him— all while I stood there staring at his retreating figure.

I won't. I know for sure.

Fate is such a bitch.

___

The Odyssey Of The Devilजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें