8.

T H A L I A

The sun was warm and though I simply stood my forehead began forming small beads of sweat.
Although it was hot I remained patient and hummed to myself, kicking around at the sand while I waited for the game to start

"Oh my legs already hurt like a bitch-

"Lia! How many times do I need to remind you, there are tiny children here?" Devora cut me off, motioning to the boys.

I titled my head with a sigh. "Oh. Oops?"

With a sigh I averted my gaze over to the next batter, Ham. Due to Ham being a little cocky Kenny pitched him a heater.

The ball quickly soared out and in a matter of seconds landed straight over the fence. The boys on the field all smacked their gloves on the ground and erupted in groans and shouts.

"Ham, you idiot now we can't play no more!" Benny grumbled, shaking his head disappointingly at him.

I looked to Devora who was beginning to laugh at the boys that all were pushing and smacking at Ham as he made his way down the bases.

"Hey! Wait a sec, I'll get it!" A voice soon called.

"No!" Squints shouted, quickly holding his hand out.

I knitted my eyebrows together in confusion once they all ran past me like a herd of buffaloes before turning around to see Scotty who was beginning to climb up the fence.

I shared looks with Devora as we slowly followed and jogged over to see them dragging him back down to the ground.

"Geez, you guys are creating a dust storm over here!" I coughed, waving the dust from the sand away as I made my way over.

"What are you guys doing! I was just going to get the ball?" Scotty questioned in confusion, motioning back towards the fence.

"You're going to get yourself killed!" Timmy breathed out heavily.

"Get yourself killed man, jeez!" Kenny added, shaking his head in disapproval.

"Yeah yeah truly what we're you thinking?" Yeah-Yeah exclaimed in disbelief.

"Well, you guys were leaving so I thought-

"If you were thinking you wouldn't have thought that" Squints cut him off, shaking his head disappointingly.

"Then how are you supposed to get the ball back?" Scotty questioned, looking back towards the fence in confusion.

"We don't" Timmy sighed.

"We don't" Tommy repeated right after him.

"Kiss it-

"Kiss it goodbye" Tommy cut him off as he repeated again.

"Shut up Tommy!" Timmy shouted in frustration.

"It's gone man, we'll just get another ball tomorrow" Benny sighed, waving it off as they all turned to leave.