9.

T H A L I A

The sun was harsh, brutal, much harsher than usual. And for that my arms remained crossed over my chest while I angrily stared out into the empty field of the lot.

I was truly hoping to refrain myself from bursting out in frustration. It was so, so hot and the heat just completely made me aggravated with everything.

I felt so sweaty and hot and my clothes were sticking to my skin. Yuck.

"Why do you look.. like that?" Benny's voice questioned, followed by a small laugh.

I rolled my eyes, continuing to stare out into the field. "Shut up"

"Oh my god! Why is it so hot!" Devora grumbled next to me, throwing her head down into her hands.

"Because it's summer smarty?" Kenny replied, in tone as if it were obvious.

"Oh I can't do this!" I bursted, throwing my hands up with a huff as I stood up.

"I can't. And will not. I'm so out of here-

"Oh my god sit down. Here, take this and relax" Benny pulled me right back and sat me down before handing me a water.

I frowned, taking the bottle from him with a huff as I twisted the lid open and quickly took a few gulps of water.

"My god, we haven't stared yet! Squints and Yeah-Yeah aren't even back yet will you guys calm down?" He added, shaking his head at all of our complaining.

"Listen. We get your psychotic ass can play baseball even in a million degree weather but we cannot!" Devora exclaimed, motioning between herself and I.

He rolled his eyes, opening his mouth to speak back when pausing once he looked out. "Where've you guys been, we been waiting forever already?"

My eyes fell on Yeah-Yeah who tugged Squints over, throwing his arm down once he stood in front of us. "Ah, squints was pervin a dish"

"Shut up, I was not" Squints defended, shaking his head in denial as he smacked his arm.

"Yeah yeah you were, your tongue was hanging out of your mouth and you was swooning. Oh Wendy Peffercorn, my darling lover girl!" Yeah-Yeah teased, mockingly placing a hand over his heart.

"I said shut up, I've got a lot on my mind" Squints huffed, angrily pushing his glasses up onto his nose.

I snickered, watching as he walked over and took a seat on the other side of me. "Awe how cute. Does someone have a little crushy crush on Wendy Peffercorn?"

He whipped his head over, rolling his eyes in frustration. "Shut. Up!"

Ham tiredly made his way over towards Benny, frantically gulping down his soda. "This pop isn't working Benny. I'm baking like a toasted cheezer it's so hot here!"

"It's 150 degrees out there, you can't play baseball!" Squints scolded, taking a pop from the cooler.

I held up my finger, gasping out in relief as I pulled the water bottle away from lips. "I agree" I started.