24.

T H A L I A

My hand slapped into the leather of the glove, breathing in deeply from boredom I watched Ham make his way towards the batter box.

He swung the bat a few times and prepared to hit the ball, when suddenly looking away and scoffing. "Oh hell no he is not here right now"

I followed his gaze, immediately feeling my heart drop at the sight of Phillips making his way onto the field.

I shared confused glances with Benny before sighing, slipping the glove off my hand as I shook my head and walked over.

"Phillips?" I questioned, shaking my head at him as I made my way over.

He looked over, cracking a small smile as he walked over and met up with me. "Hi.." he simply replied.

"No. Don't hi me, what are you doing here?" I quickly questioned, glancing back towards the boys on the field unsurely.

"Well.. I thought I could play with you guys since.. you know you don't want to come to my field because of them, I thought I'd just-

"Hold your horses. No, no it's not just that. It's also because I don't much like you either. Don't forget that Goldie" I cut him off, quickly correcting his statement.

"I know. But truly I'm sorry what more could I-

"Jordan?" A voice questioned.

I looked over, letting out a small sigh once seeing Emily walking over. "What are you doing here?" She questioned, looking between us in confusion.

"Oh.. well I just thought I'd come and play some baseball?" He explained, slowly looking back towards me.

Emily's eyes lit up and she gasped.
"Really?"

"You can't be serious" A new voice spoke.

I turned to see Benny who was walking over, shaking his head with an airy disbelieved laugh.

"What?" Emily frowned, looking back towards Phillips in confusion.

"What? What do you mean what?" Benny questioned, furrowing his eyebrows with a confused laugh.

I shared unsure looks with Benny, sighing I rubbed my eyes tiredly and looked back towards the two siblings.

"What's the matter?" Emily questioned, glancing between us in confusion.

I sighed and now attempted to explain.
"Look.. Emily it's just you know how it is with—

Phillips shook his head with a sigh, quickly cutting me off. "No, no. It's ok, I'll go.. if you want-

"Yeah, we do I thought it was obvious?" Benny now cut him off, lightly scoffing.

I bit onto the inside of my cheek nervously once seeing Emily look towards him with a frown. "What- why.. can't he just play?"

He stared at her for a moment, simply blinking blankly. "Ok I know he's your brother but-

I grumbled and shook my head. "Alright, alright, he can play with us ok?"