55.

T H A L I A

My hands held the wooden bat lightly in my palms. I stared at it for a few moments before looking up to see the dusty field.

My eyes met with Kenny and he sent me a small smirk. I rolled my eyes and with a smile I pointed at him.

He brought his hand up to the same when slapping it over his eyes and turning away. "Fuck, wait" he breathed.

I sighed lightly and lowered the bat when suddenly another boy on the field bursted.

"I can't do this!" Squints shouted, slipping his glove off and slapping it onto the ground.

"How can you be leaving!" Bertram added throwing his hands up frantically.

I frowned once they all bursted into protests. Rubbing my eyes tiredly I let out a small grumble.

"Guys! Will you shut up?" Benny scolded, shaking his head at them.

"How the hell you going to leave us. To Arizona! What's even over there, nothing. I'm sure it's boring!" Kenny ignored and continued to exclaim.

"Uh, my Aunt. Guys, I don't want to go either but I have too. Come on you guys already know this.. can we just please continue with the game" I frowned, huffing lightly as I motioned back down towards the bat.

"I cannot. I can't stand here and play when you're leaving!" Squints shrieked, grabbing onto my shoulders and shaking me violently.

"Oh this just ain't cool. It's not. I can't do this" Kenny continued to seemingly have some sort of breakdown as he paced back and forth.

My eyes trailed off from the boys and fell on Devora who stood off to the side, her arms crossed and her gaze kept on the floor.

My lips curled down into a frown and I slowly walked over. "Dev?"

She glanced up, shaking her head as she waved it off. "What? I'm fine. Totally fine here- just thinking"

I slightly nodded and rubbed her shoulder. Of course I knew she was lying but, I also knew she didn't like being sad especially in front of people. She was always fun, as she calls herself.

I continued to watch as they all were rioting with protests. Some flailing their hands everywhere and others pacing around the place.

A hand was placed on my shoulder causing me to look over and smile once seeing it to be Scotty.

"It's ok.. I understand. They're just being emotional about it" he assured, lightly rubbing my shoulder in comfort.

I sent him a warm smile. "Thank you"

My fingers lightly tapped my stomach as I leaned back against a wall. Scanning the boys that filled the room.

They had luckily calmed down. So now we can have a camp out that didn't involve shouts and them declaring I go on a strike to not go.

Suddenly my hand was picked up. I looked over to see Benny who sat next to me and took my hand, interlocking our fingers before placing our  hands down onto his lap.

"I can't believe you're leaving.." he softly spoke, almost muttering to himself.

I slightly nodded and cracked a small hopeful smile. "Yeah, I know. But it won't be forever. I'll come back.. whenever that it is but I will. I swear, I can't be away from here for too long or I'll die"

He slightly nodded in response. We sat for a moment before he slowly turned over and rested his head down onto my lap.

My smile remained, but it slowly faded when realizing one very important matter.

"Benny.. what's going to happen to us?" I softly questioned, feeling my heart drop at a certain thought.

Though he was rested on his side and I couldn't see his face. I had a feeling he rolled his eyes by the scoff he let out. "What? You think we're breaking up or something?"

I shook my head, sighing lightly. "Well, no of course not. It's just.. I don't know how you feel about long distance relationships? I don't know if you'd want to stay together even though.. we're going to be apart for.. who knows how long?"

It was quiet, when he suddenly shook his head with a breathy laugh. "You're so dumb. Dumb, if you think I'd ever not want to be with you. Even if we are apart"

"We can make it work.. I'm sure we can. You know, we can call, and.. well that's pretty much it. But, it'll work it out. Don't worry alright?"

I thought for a moment. Bringing up my remaining hand that wasn't held by his over, and lightly ran my fingers through his hair.

With a sigh I nodded. "Ok.. are you sure? I mean, what if calls just aren't enough and.. we go insane? I'm just scared you'll get tired of it or something and—

"Thalia" he sharply broke in and turned over to look at me. "The only thing I'm getting tired of right now is you saying that. I'd never get tired of being with you, even if we are only calling. Stop worrying, alright.. I don't like it"

I slowly nodded and a smile spread onto my face. "Alright.. fine, ok. Sorry"

He shook his head, a small laugh escaping past his lips. "It's ok.. but hey- what if you get tired of me? Then what, huh?"

Though I rolled my eyes a smile remained on my face. "Now you're just acting like a moron. That's impossible"

He cracked a small smile and slightly nodded.
"Fine.. good"

I returned the smile in response. And with that left a silence between us. My hand slowly slid out of his hair and rested on his shoulder as I thought over our conversation.

Suddenly my hand was snatched and brought back over. "What are you- keep going?" He stated as if I were crazy.

I rolled my eyes, lightly laughing as I brought my hand back up and ran my fingers through his hair again.

A warm smile spread onto my face as I watched him close his eyes. I examined him and his features even more intently than I usually would, seeing there would soon be a period of time where I won't see them at all. Oh how I love him. So so much, I really do.

——

I'm cryingg, not only because this is getting pretty sad but because I start school soon. Ugh, someone please kidnap me I'm really not trying to go. It's just too much, anyways, I hate being emotional