Chapter Eleven: Second Mission

"Alright, (Y/N). You see them?"

"Cap, I never thought in a million years that you would be driving a garbage truck."

"Cut the chatter you two, I count ten hostages in that van," Rhodey said as an anonymous white van passed by (Y/N)'s position.

"Picking that up too," he said as he scanned it with his x-ray vision.

"If it's passed your position that means the plan's a-go, right?" (Y/N) heard Natasha say.

"That's right. Wanda, Vision, get in position. Sam, Rhodey, move out," Steve ordered. (Y/N) watched as two massive trucks passed by where he was waiting-a semi truck being driven by Rhodey, and a fire truck being driven by Sam, with Wanda and Vision holding on for dear life.

Rhodey moved onto the highway, with Sam following right behind him. They approached the van, and Rhodey turned to the van's right, pulling up alongside it. Sam pulled up on its right. A massive swat truck pulled up behind the van, being driven by Natasha. At this point, the drivers of the van had figured out what was going on and tried to get away from the three trucks. Luckily, Steve had just pulled in front of them in his garbage truck, stopping any plans of escape.

"Trucks are in place. Move to phase 2," Steve said.

(Y/N) knew exactly what this meant. He took off, speeding towards the other Avengers' positions, following the highway.

Sam moved the fire truck's massive ladder over to the left, making it so that the ladder led directly on top of the van. Wanda climbed onto the ladder and approached the top of the van, Vision following close behind. Wanda made it to the top of the van and started using her powers to mind control the terrorists inside.

"I have them under," she said. "But be fast. I can't hold them for long."

"That's your cue, (Y/N)," Steve said from the garbage truck.

"I seriously wonder how it smells in that garbage truck, Steve," he said as he flew up above Natasha's swat truck, coming up behind the van. Sam was in the process of moving the fire truck's ladder back into position. Vision made is way to the front of the truck, placing his hands under the front of it. (Y/N) did the same on the back of the van.

"Are you ready?" Vision said.

"On the count of three. One, two, three!"

On three, they lifted the van into the air, and Wanda with it, still on top of the roof.

"I sincerely hope that you two don't drop me," Wanda joked.

But that joke would be ill-timed as a gunshot rang out from inside the van. Wanda collapsed onto the roof of the van, then slid off of it. (Y/N) looked down in horror. They were nearly a thousand feet above a highway, and Wanda was injured.

"Vision! Can you hold this thing yourself?" He yelled.

"I can."

"Do it!"

Vision made his way to the center of the van, and (Y/N) went inside, firing a heat ray at all the terrorists inside the van. Then, he flew down, towards where Wanda was falling. The Avengers watched the situation from their trucks, hearing as (Y/N) broke the sound barrier.

He caught Wanda just before she hit the ground. He put her down in a nearby patch of grass, examining her wound. She had been shot in the upper right thigh, and with the way the shot was taken it would be hard to get the bullet out. (Y/N) used his x-ray vision to locate it. The bullet hadn't gone very deep, which was lucky.

"Alright Wanda. This is going to hurt like a motherfucker, okay? But I need you to stay awake, no matter how much it hurts."

She nodded, genuine fear in her eyes, as (Y/N)'s hand approached the wound. She screamed as he slowly pulled the bullet out.

"Hey. It's gonna be okay. I love you," he assured her.

"I love you too," she said weakly.

"(Y/N)? Wanda? Are you guys alright?" Steve asked them over the radio.

"I got the bullet out, but she'll need medical attention. And probably stitches."

"Can you get her back to base?"

"Yeah."

He picked Wanda up and floated into the sky towards the Avengers compound.