Chapter Thirty-Four: Intergalactic Cops

Carol's ship landed just outside the Nova Corps headquarters. After engaging its safety protocols, she disembarked, with (Y/N) following close behind. The headquarters was a massive tower, with ships flying all around it. The tower dominated the city-scape, and (Y/N) was fascinated by it.

"Hey," Carol said, breaking (Y/N) out of his trance. "Come on, Nova Prime will be waiting for us."

"What? Oh, yeah, sorry."

He followed her up the steps of the tower, soldiers giving him funny looks as he followed Carol, one even stepping on his cape, much to (Y/N)'s annoyance.

"What's their problem? Geez."

"The Nova Corps had a bit of a... disagreement with the Kryptonians a few years back. Zod, specifically."

"I'm not with Zod."

"They don't know that."

"Fair point."

She waited for him at the door as he continued up the steps. "This is our stop."

He walked in alongside her. It was a meeting room, like the one back at the Avengers' HQ, with numerous people standing around a table, deep in discussion.

"Nova Prime?" Carol addressed an older woman with white hair. "This is (Y/N). He's Kryptonian and here to help us capture Yon-Rogg."

"We're glad to have you on board." Nova Prime shook (Y/N)'s hand.

"Tell me about the situation," (Y/N) said.

"Three years ago, Xandar was attacked by a man called Ronan the Accuser," Carol explained. "He was trying to use an object known as an infinity stone to destroy the planet. Luckily, he was stopped, and the stone remains guarded in this very structure."

'An infinity stone?' (Y/N) thought. 'Isn't that what was in Vision's head?'

"Last year, the stone became active. It started shaking and glowing, sometimes for minutes at a time," Carol continued.

"We believe it is a warning," Nova Prime said. "Yon-Rogg's ship crashed here a few days before the stone became active. It's entirely possible he's going to try and finish Ronan's mission. We have attempted apprehending him, but he's evaded us for the most part. That's why we had to call Carol in. And, she brought you."

"So... we're cops now."

"Intergalactic cops," Carol corrected.

(Y/N) chuckled. "I'll find him. Don't worry about it."

-----

(Y/N) floated above the city, listening for Yon-Rogg's voice, as Carol searched on the ground. (Y/N)'s superior hearing was elevated on Xandar - the sun was even younger than Earth's. He could hear the entire city.

"(Y/N)?" Carol said through their comms. Her hearing wasn't like (Y/N)'s, so they still had to wear earpieces.

"Yeah?"

"There's a guy in front of me wearing a brown cloak. I think it's Yon-Rogg. Can you tell, is he saying anything?"

"He's mumbling, but I can try."

He focused on the person Carol was talking about, drowning out all other noise but his speaking.

"It's him."

"What?"

"It's Yon-Rogg. Go. Now."

Carol immediately fired a photon blast at Yon-Rogg, who whipped around and threw his cloak off, revealing a pair of Kree energy pistols.

"Vers, I was wondering when you would find me!" He said as he aimed his weapons.

"You want a rematch?" Carol said.

"Most certainly."

(Y/N) landed next to Carol. "Not gonna happen, buddy."

"Kryptonian!" Yon-Rogg remarked. "I thought you all died?"

"Sadly, yes. But I lived."

(Y/N) shot a heat ray from his eyes, disarming Yon-Rogg. A few Nova soldiers came by to arrest him, placing cuffs on his wrists.

"You're too late!" Yon-Rogg said. "He's coming for it! And he's not going to stop until he has them all!"

The Nova soldiers dragged him away.

"Pleasure working with you," (Y/N) said to Carol, sticking his hand out for a shake.

"Not yet. I still have my end of the deal. We're going to Krypton."