Chapter Twenty-Five: Fugitives and Thieves

(Y/N) had flown all the way to the mountains, to his fortress of solitude. Here, he was safe. Here, he was alone. Here, he would be free.

The cold was of no bother to him as he dropped to the floor. He considered removing his suit and discarding it, forgetting the symbol of hope that brought him to the Avengers, to Wanda. But he couldn't bring himself to do it. He turned around, seeing his father, (F/F/N) standing behind him.

"It's somethin', innit? One minute in (H/S) livin' on a pancake so we come to the mountains. All downhill from here; down to the floodplain, arm at the bottom of the world. I remember one season the water came bad. I couldn't've been twelve. Dad had out the shovels and we went at it all night. We worked 'til I think I fainted, but we managed to stop the water. We saved the house. Your grandma baked me a cake, said I was a hero. Later that day we found out we blocked the water alright - we sent it upstream. A whole farm washed away. While I ate my hero cake, their horses were drowning. I used to hear them wailing in my sleep."

"Did the nightmares ever stop?"

"When I met your mother. She gave me faith that there's good in this world. She was my world. I miss you, son."

"I miss you too, dad."

(Y/N) looked at where his father once stood, only to find the empty entrance of the fortress. he would not lay down hope, because it was still there.

In the time since he had first come here, (Y/N) had upgraded the systems, using them to view the news, when it was necessary. This was one of those times.

He found out that the one believed to have planted the bomb was none other than James Buchanan Barnes, the Winter Soldier. He also tuned in to the news reports about other things, including the crime-ridden city of Gotham. He had been watching reports on that city for a while now, and he knew that the police force there was working with a vigilante who looked like a bat. Weird, but true. This "Bat" had no regard for the law, nor any morality. He branded his victims with a bat-like symbol, and all those found with the brand would be sentenced to prison.

The other reports said something about a street chase between Steve, Barnes, and Prince T'Challa. Steve had helped Bucky escape from German special forces, and T'Challa had been there, trying to chase them down. All three were eventually arrested, but broke out later on, along with Sam Wilson.

(Y/N) knew he would have to help them. But somehow, someway, the bat-vigilante was involved in all this.

-----

The gala was a fundraiser for the victims of the destruction caused by the Avengers. It was being held by none other than Tony Stark. Stark wasn't there, unfortunately, he was busy attending to the escaped Barnes and Captain Rogers.

Bruce rarely made public appearances, but this was more than just an appearance. He knew that Stark would have files on Superman, and Maximoff. If he was going to confront Superman, he would need to know all of his secrets.

Alfred was directing him to the lower levels, where he would plug in a flash drive and steal all of Stark's info on Superman. He rounded a corner, and came to what he was looking for. He plugged the drive in, and handed the work over to Alfred.

"It'll take me a few minutes," Alfred said through Bruce's earpiece.

Bruce stood by nonchalantly, trying his best to look as non-suspicious as possible. Of course, he did look a little suspicious to one person. She was a tall woman in a dark red dress, who was watching him from afar. When Alfred told him the files were finished uploading, he waited until the woman turned away from him to grab the drive.