Chapter Thirty-Six: Solitude

Wanda had left, but Bane's mercenaries were still on the scene. Bruce and Diana would try to hold them off until the police arrived, but it would be a hard task.

Or so they thought. From behind them arrived Barry, Victor, and Vision, as well as one unexpected visitor: Arthur Curry.

"Glad to see you join us," Bruce said to Arthur, wearing a new set of armor and wielding a trident.

"You're still crazy."

The mercenaries charged at the six heroes, but Arthur already had a plan. He ran forward at the mercenaries, and plunged his trident into the ground. The ensuing shockwave threw all of the mercenaries back, right into the police's arms, both figuratively and literally. Bane was apprehended a moment later, likely to be taken back to Arkham Asylum.

-----

"Everyone, this is Alfred, I work for him."

Bruce had taken the other members of the League back to the Batcave, where Alfred was currently working on the new troop carrier. Bruce took to repairing the Batmobile, which had sustained heavy damage during the skirmish with Bane's forces. While he was working, Vision came to speak with him.

"Mr. Wayne?"

"Can I help you, Vision?"

"Do you know where Ms. Maximoff is? She was not present during the battle and I have not been able to locate her."

"The news helicopters saw her. She's gone to (Y/N)'s old fortress in the Alps."

"To hide, I presume?"

"Yeah."

"With your permission, I would like to check on her, make sure that she arrived safely."

Bruce remembered his promise to (Y/N). No matter what happens, keep her safe for me. Alright?

"Alright, Vision. Go make sure she's alright."

"Thank you, sir."

Vision floated out of the cave, leaving Bruce and Alfred to work.

-----

Wanda floated down outside the entrance to the fortress. She had been here, once before, with (Y/N), shortly after the Avengers' Civil War.

"Do you know why I brought you here, Wanda?" he had said.

"To show off your ridiculously cool home?"

(Y/N) laughed. "I hope we will live in it one day."

"It's cold."

"That is one thing the inside remedies."

He showed her around inside, explaining all the Kryptonian technology to her. The came into a room with a whole host of crystals, and two pods sitting in the back, one of them opened.

"What is this place?" She asked.

"It's where I got this," He said, pointing to his suit. "It came from that pod there." He pointed to the first. 

"What's in the second one?"

"I don't know. It didn't open at my touch."

"It might. One day."

"One day," He agreed.

Wanda smiled at the memory. It reminded him of his voice, his laugh, and his smile, all of which had been fading from her memory in the last year. She stepped through the doorway, tracing (Y/N)'s hope symbol inside it as she did.

She walked through the halls of the fortress, remembering the things they did together during their time there, the day before they went to Gotham. They day before he left.

Wanda walked into the room he had shown her, where he had gotten his suit. The second pod was still closed. She traced her finger along the outside of the opened pod, its alien material grazing along her fingertip. She looked to the second one, closed as it had always been, placing her hand on it. All of a sudden, the pod began to move, and she realized it was opening. What was inside amazed her.

It was another suit, almost identical to (Y/N)'s red-and-blue one, only it was black. All black, with the exception of the symbol, which was traced in an elegant silver.

The other pod had opened at his touch, not hers. Why had this one opened at hers? She wasn't Kryptonian.

Whatever the reason was, Wanda left the suit, leaving it as a surprise for (Y/N) upon his return. He would love it.

Wanda turned away from the room, moving her way back to the large, main room in the center of the fortress. There, she found Vision, who looked to be waiting for her.

"Hello, Wanda."

"Vision. What are you doing here?"

"Mr. Wayne sent me along to see if you were alright. The authorities were after you, you see-"

"I'm fine," She said, cutting him off.

Vision's stone started glowing, causing him pain.

"What's wrong?" Wanda asked, walking over to Vision.

Her approach would be cut short as Vision was stabbed with a golden blade.