Chapter Forty: United

"Not. Impressed," (Y/N) said as he faced Thanos. As soon as Wanda realized who it was, she turned her focus back to Vision, trying to destroy the stone. (Y/N) used his freezing breath on Thanos' left hand, freezing his gauntlet. He then punched the gauntlet, shattering it and dropping the stones on the ground, floating up to meet Thanos' gaze as he did.

Thanos brought his arm back for a punch, but (Y/N) kicked him, sending Thanos flying into a tree. He yelled in anger as he got up, at which (Y/N) shot a heat ray at him, which burned Thanos' hand as he tried to block it. (Y/N) flew at Thanos, knocking him back yet again. This time Thanos was successful in swinging a punch at (Y/N), but he was too fast, and his fist only collided with air and (Y/N) rammed into him full force. Thanos couldn't beat him without the stones.

It was at this point that the stone in Vision's forehead shattered, causing him to explode. Where Vision stood was now an empty piece of land. Wanda was thrown back, but they had done it. They had won.

It was at this point that Thor joined the fight, shooting lightning bolts at Thanos, sending him back. He landed next to (Y/N), who nodded at him, their red capes flowing out behind them. (Y/N) grabbed Thanos and threw him at Thor, who hit Thanos back a fair bit... right to where the gauntlet had been shattered.

Thanos picked up the time stone and the power stone, shooting a blast of purple energy at Thor, who dropped Stormbreaker and flew back. (Y/N), seeing what he was about to do, picked Stormbreaker up and swung it at Thanos, who merely performed the same move as he did to Thor. (Y/N) was thrown back, the axe landing in the dirt next to him.

"NO!" Wanda screamed as she realized what Thanos was doing. He grabbed her and threw her in the same direction as he had (Y/N), then used the time stone to remake his gauntlet, the five stones coming into place. He then used the gauntlet to revive Vision, only to brutally pull the sixth and final infinity stone out of his head.

Victory was at hand. Thanos placed the mind stone into the gauntlet, his body surging with power as he did.

Wanda reached her hand out to grab (Y/N)'s, their bodies lying next to each other, his (E/C) eyes staring into her green ones.

"I'm sorry..." She whispered.

"Me too."

Thanos raised the gauntlet and snapped his fingers. A brilliant white light surged out, blinding (Y/N). When he could see again, he saw Thanos cradling his damaged arm with his other. Turning to Wanda, he saw tears flowing down her cheeks as her lower body started turning to dust.

"I love y-"

She was gone.

(Y/N) got up and kneeled over where she stood, his hands running through the dirt.

"No. NO!"

He held the dirt in his hands, sobbing. She was gone, and there was nothing (Y/N) could do. He promised. Bruce Wayne had promised she would be safe. And still she died. She was gone, forever.

(Y/N) felt a hand on his shoulder.

"I know how you feel, young one," came the voice of Thanos behind him.

(Y/N) felt his pupils dilating as Thanos' hand went away. He forced them shut, the sight of the dust that had once been Wanda unbearable.

Bruce Wayne walked over. He watched as Bucky, T'Challa, Sam, Diana, Arthur, and Groot, all of them faded to dust. He saw (Y/N) kneeling over what had once been Wanda, his screams sounding out across the plains.

"(Y/N). I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

(Y/N) stood, his back to Bruce. He turned, eyes still forced shut, tears still streaming down his cheeks.

Then they snapped open.

His eyes were glowing red.

-END OF PART FOUR-