Chapter 8 - The past that haunts us

Varian was sitting there starring at the broken neckless, he was in his own world, feeling so guilty he didn't even care Cassandra was asleep on his shoulder. All the memories burnt him, he could still feel the pain, letting the boy out he wanted to bury deep down. He knew that inside evil him was there, but he did his best to hide him.

Varian started to remember the exact moment when Cassandra's horse came and got him. Once he made it to the campsite, the first thing he saw was knocked out Cassandra. Varian could still see her like that, defenseless, as he saw the leader of the men holding the sword about to stab Cassandra's heart.

Varian remembers every minute of it, him losing his temper and immediately grabbing Cassandra as the man stabbed towards where her heart was. Varian got her out but the slice that would've killed her just grazed her side. Cass's side felt completely fine, but Varian still felt responsible for it.

Varian can still remember holding her body in his arms. He wasn't sure if she was dead or knocked out, but after a while, the man came after Varian. Varian can remember him refusing to fight the other guy, and he was dodging all of his attacks, then one of them was more intense than the others.

Varian managed to dodge it, but the Cassandrium neckless fell out of his pocket and shattered.

"Oh, did you break something?" The man said in a teasing tone. Varian clenched his fist and pulled out an alchemy thing.

"Oh, YOU'RE GOING TO REGRET THAT!!!!" Varian couldn't think about it!!! Looking back, he didn't see himself anymore... that wasn't him... or was it... NO!!!

Varian couldn't picture himself doing that, but he did. Looking back, he didn't recognize himself.

Varian paralyzed the man and made his bones weaker for a couple of hours, why do you think his arm was blue.

Varian was all worked up when he grabbed the man's sword as he was on the ground defenseless. He used the sword to cut the guy, he held it right over the man's heart, just like the other guy did to Cassandra.

"Do it!!" The guy told Varian.

"Gladly," Varian responded with a terrifying glare.

Varian held the sword up and was ready to pin the sword when he heard Cassandra make a small noise out of pain. Varian looked over her, and he immediately snapped out of it.

"No," Varian said, as he threw the sword on the floor. Varian had the man paralyzed as he was entirely blue. Slowly he was fading back to his normal colors. Once he was back to his normal colors, he would be free to move.

"I'm not going to kill you, but I'm not going to let you kill Cassandra." Varian walked over to the neckless and picked it up and put it in his pocket, as he picked up Cassandra, as he walked deeper into the woods.

Varian couldn't think of this moment, the Cassandrium breaking, why did he care SO much, and why would he ever do that to someone, he can still remember the man's fear in his eyes. He looked at Varian, just like everyone did when he was evil.

Every single person that looked at him would be afraid, he knew deep down, that Varian is still there. The one thing he was grateful for was Cassandra not seeing him like that.

Varian could tell Cassandra that the neckless was broken. For he thought for her it was just a neckless, but he didn't want to tell her how it broke. How he acted after. Just thinking about him made him sick.... Or maybe that was the food, but most likely the memories.

Varian sat there, all he wanted right then, was a bit of comfort from anyone. That's when he heard Cassandra sleep talking. She was mumbling, but Varian could tell that she said, "It's alright."

Varian gave her a nice big smile. He kissed her forehead. Then as he rested his head on hers, and he slowly fell asleep with the Cassandrium in his pocket. Along with the memories out of his thoughts, all he could think about was how much he loved this moment, and how he wished it would never end. 

And how much he LOVED Cassandra... and how he always will.

/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/

Sorry, this chapter was short, but I couldn't have had a better way to start and end a chapter. This one was planned from the start and I LOVE IT!!!! Leave a comment on if you liked it as much as I did. - V.Rose