Chapter 9 - A sweet surprise

Varian and Cassandra were both asleep, all cuddled up when they heard a THUD On the wall. Cassandra quickly opened her eyes and looked towards the wall she heard it from. Cassandra woke up Varian by her sudden movements, with Varian's hair was all messy, while he was still half asleep.

"Cassie, why are you awake?" Varian said while rubbing his eyes and sounding extremely tired.

"I heard something," Cass said as she stood up, and because she got up the handcuffs started lifting up Varian's arm.

"It was probably nothing. Go to sleep." Varian said as he leaned his back up to the wall again, and closed his eyes going back to sleep. Cass gave a sigh knowing he was right and as she started getting comfortable again, she heard the noise again. Cassandra immediately stood up but was held back by the handcuffs. She looked up at the window that was towards the ceiling, and she saw something small and tan start slipping its way into the cell.

Cassandra grabbed Varian's shoulders and told him to wake up. Varian opened his eyes and he looked up at the bars, he saw the thing slipping through and he stood up and got close to Cassandra ready to protect her.

Then.... a letter fell through the bars and landed on the floor near them. Cassandra walked towards it dragging Varian with her as she picked it up. On the front was a sticker of the sun in Corona. That could only mean- Cassandra looked up and she saw a head peaking in through the bars, it was none other than Owl.

Cassandra gave her pet owl a relieved smile as Owl flew in and landed on Cass's free hand. Cassandra got an idea and immediately lit up as she started opening the letter.

"Wow, out of EVERYONE, I would've never thought you would get so excited about a sentimental letter," Varian said with a smirk. Cassandra looked at him and smiled as she rolled her eyes.

"That's not what it is." Cassandra walked up to Varian and handed him the letter. "No, It's since the letter was from Rapunzel if we wrote her back-

"Awww..." Varian said interrupting Cass. Cass turned to look at him and he was reading the letter.

"HEY!!!" Cass shouted as she hit his head with the letter. "No snooping!!!"

"Sorry, I'm listening," Varian said as he looked at Cassandra.

"What was I saying, right! If we wrote Rapunzel back telling her where we are, she could come and save us." Cass finished. Varian thought it was a good idea, but Cass stopped herself before she could say anything else though, "Wait, there's two problems, one we don't know what island this is, or where it is."

Varian interrupted again, "Oh I do! You would be surprised how many escapes I planned before I-" Cass stood there as she glared at Varian. Varian blushed as he tried to come up with a lie "Did I say escape, I meant mailing kind letters to my friends...." Varian blushed. "I'm not getting out of this." Cass shook her head from side to side, answering Varian's question.

"Well that's taken care of, but what can we use to write?" Cass said looking around.

"I GOT IT!!!" Varian said with a smile on his face. "The dirt, I was looking at it earlier and-"

"You know that's weird right?" Cass interrupted.

"Anyway, the point is, we can use the dirt to write on the letter if we get it wet. It's because of the"

"VARIAN!!! You're missing something. We already drank our water. What are we going to use to get it wet."

Varian took the letter out of Cassandra's hand and he spits on some of the dirt. "That's disgusting," Cassandra said while she looked at him with her eyes very disturbed.

"It works.... WE DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS!!!!" Varian starts writing on the back of the letter with his finger.

Cassandra was leaning on his shoulder watching what he was doing, "Your handwriting is awful." Cass said in a teasing tone.

"YOU TRY WRITING WITH YOUR LEFT HAND!!!!" Varian yelled as he continued writing his e's backward.

Cass gave him a smile "It's not that hard, I'm left-handed." She said making Varian roll his eyes in a playful way.

Varian finished writing the really sloppy letter and gave it to Owl, Owl took the letter and flew off.

Varian and Cassandra were just sitting in there once again, Cassandra was laying on the bed, and Varian was at the bottom of the bed when something came into his mind. "You know now that I think about it, we could've used some water from the cafeteria in the morning, or even just sent Owl to get water or a pencil.

Cassandra did a facepalm as she started blushing. Varian curled up at the bottom of the bed. Trying to fall asleep as he shivered a bit because it was getting really cold. Varian was finally asleep and so was Cassandra, but Cass woke up to feel Varian's shivering by the handcuff.

Cassandra looked over at Varian to see him sleeping peacefully on the floor, Cass smiled as she thought he looked cute. She bent down, and she picked Varian up and put him in the bed that she was sleeping in.

When Varian was picked up by Cass his eyes slowly opened, he looked at her, she didn't notice he was awake as she set him down in the bed. Cassandra started to lean down towards the floor as Varian grabbed her hand.

"The floor is no place for a princess." He whispered sounding still half asleep. Cassandra smiled at him, then he pulled her into the bed next to him. Both of them were sitting together facing opposite directions as they both fell asleep.

After a little while Varian started getting cold again waking up Cassandra, Cass opened her eyes and turned over so she was facing Varian.

Varian still had his eyes closed trying to fallasleep but he was really cold until he felt something warm come and huggedaround where his chest was. Varian opened his eyes and looked down, andCassandra was keeping him warm. He gave her a smile as he wrapped his armsaround her, and they both fell asleep.

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

Sorry if this one was shorter than the others. I just couldn't get the words to pour out, so I took out a lot that just didn't feel right, anyway. Something I would like you to put in the comments is what was the sweet surprise in this chapter?  Was it Owl being their rescue owl or was it Cass and Varian cuddled up together. Put your thoughts in the chat. Also, I drew a picture of Cassandra and Varian on my youtube channel. You get to see the process. Here is the final product. 

This is how I picture them looking

This is how I picture them looking. This takes place back when they were fighting the other guys and Varian was protecting her. Look at him all grown up though. Wow. That's all. Enjoy the rest of your day. - Velvita Rose