Chapter 7 Oversight

Wash walked to the beach of Zanzibar, spotting Carolina. . . and a clear blur. Ruby was in her active camouflage, getting information in her own way. Luckily, the cobalt and yellow freelancer decided not sell her out.

Wash: Facility is clear.

Carolina: Find anything?

Wash: Nothing we didn't already know.

Carolina: Figured as much. This place was a dead end.

Wash: Sorry, boss.

Carolina: The structure we're going to next, you're positive our target was there?

Wash: I know what I saw. That's why it's on our list.

Carolina: But I know what I saw. . . and it doesn't make any sense.

Wash: All the more reason to investigate.

Carolina: Alright then. . . Let's go. . . Let's go find CT. . .

The Magenta Girl quickly backed away.

Ruby: Connecticut? We didn't run into Catherine. We only had that a-. . . A-hole.

Allison: Yeah. . . The Insurrectionist Leader. . . Have you remembered-

Time slowed, Beta entering the AIs' slower time lapse. Allison turned to see the Magenta AI standing before her. . .

Zeta: She remembers. . . She cried herself to sleep that night. . .

The two turned to their holder. . .

Allison: Never mind. . . .

*Many Years Earlier - Project Freelancer*

A seagull was shot off the cup it rested on. Deadeye pumped his hand in the air near the other snipers. The Insurrectionists were at the Longshore Shipyard.

?: To the Director or Project Freelancer, Dr. Leonard Church. Dear Director, allow me to introduce myself. I am a representative of the newly formed UNSC Oversight Sub-Committee.

Agents Wyoming and Florida rose from the water the seagull was killed upon, the former raising a sniper.

?: Our organization is charged with the protection of high level assets of the military, one of which recently went missing. These assets are entrusted to our programs as a privilege, not as a right.

Wyoming observed as dozens of soldiers and vehicles moved around the shipyard.

?: As such, they will be safeguarded with the utmost care.

The ODSTs took part in the movement of vehicles and soldiers. . .

?: In these dark times, mankind has the opportunity to not only prove its humanity, but to earn it.

A Falcon flew overhead, heading towards the facility.

Wyoming: Well, third craft this afternoon. Let's see who else is arriving.

Guns, Girlie, and Demo-man approached the landing aircraft, the latter removing her helmet and letting her blonde hair fall.

?: I look forward to a long, and mutually beneficial relationship for our two departments. Yours truly, Malcom Hargrove, assistant to the Oversight Sub-Committee Chairman.

Agent Connecticut and Headcase exited the Falcon.

Demo-man: It's her.

Girlie: Can't believe you'd trust that bitch after what she did to us.

Spotting the rogue Agent, Wyoming chuckled.

Wyoming: There she is.

Connecticut seemingly looked right into his scope.