Chapter 12 Out of Mind

Tex: Okay, I'll take the lead. Give me fifteen seconds and then follow, sync?

York: Sync.

Ruby: Is it Synced or Sync? Oh, Sync!

Delta: Fire detected, recommend taking cover.

Gunshots echoed throughout the Relic Fortress. . .

Tex: Dammit! Jam! Cover, cover Cover!

Delta: Alarm!

York: AAAGHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ruby: NO!!!!!!!

Tex: York, are you okay?!

Ruby: How bad is it Delta?!

Delta: York will not survive. . .

Agent North Carolina stood atop the scorched ground where Agent York once laid.

Carolina: I'm sorry York. . . Sorry I didn't listen. . . I just. . . I don't understand. Why her?

Epsilon watched her from the Mongoose. . .

Carolina: Why Tex. . .?

Epsilon: Tex?

With his cover blown, she turned.

Carolina: You. . .

Epsilon: Aw, shit.

Carolina: Let me guess, just wanted some information.

Epsilon: Carolina I-

Carolina: You don't have a clue, do you? You and your friends, just think I'm some blood thirty merc with a bad attitude. But you know what? You're wrong. I'm. . . much worse.

Epsilon: Look, you go and round up everyone I know, just to bring me back, and then you keep us all in the dark? Wh-What the hell did you think was gonna happen Carolina? Of course no one trusts you!

Carolina: Well, I don't trust them Epsilon. I don't trust anyone anymore.

Epsilon: Oh why not? Because having friends ruins their whole "psychotic loner bitch" thing you've got going on? 'Cause that would be a real shame.

Carolina: It's because I had a team once. A team with the best training, the best equipment, and despite everything they had that made them the best, they still lied, and stole, and tore each other to pieces! So you tell me. . . *crouches down* How the hell am I supposed to trust a rag-tag team of idiots, when I couldn't even trust the people closest to me?

Epsilon averted her gaze. . . and vanished.

Carolina: That's what I thought.

*At Sandtrap*

Grif: *sighs* I never thought I'd say this, but I can't sleep.

The Reds and Blues were gathered in one of the pyramids.

Simmons: Yes, we know! You've been shoveling food into your mouth for an hour!

Tucker: Yeah, what's up with that?

Grif: It's a nervous habit, okay?

Kaikaina: You should've seen how much he ate before his first date.

Grif: SHUT UP!

Tucker: I meant where the fuck did you find potato chips in the middle of the desert?

Sarge: Ahh, quit yer complainin'. Carolina's probable miles away by now! The only thing we have to worry about are sand fleas! And those other highly trained operatives on patrol outside!