Chapter - 17

As the days passed by, there was undeniably a growing attraction between Neil and Avni. The duo hated to admit it, but subconsciously both knew that the effect that the other was having was immense. The party was only a day away and Neil had been working hard towards executing his mastermind plan which he felt would destroy the very foundation of Vidyut and Juhi's relationship. While they sat to eat breakfast, the doorbell rang. Avni wondered who it could be, this early in the morning. She presumed it could be Mr. and Mrs. Chopra who might have been back from their trip. Neil walked ahead to address the bell, seeming like he was anticipating someone to be here. As soon as he opened the door, the shrill scream of a lady "Neilllllll..I'm hereeeee...", made Avni stop eating and look up towards the door. "Kanishaaaa..Oh it's so good to see you" said Neil engulfing the girl in a warm hug. Seeing him hug her, Avni's eyes widened and her face fell. Involuntarily, she was squeezing the paratha in her hand so hard that all the potato chunks inside the paratha oozed out. A young girl with a bubbly face and slim figure in a knee-length dress, mostly appearing as though she was in her early twenties walked behind Neil, as he ushered her in. She sat beside Neil, and he began the introductions. "Kanisha this is Avni. She is the friend I mentioned about the other day. And Avni this is Kanisha. My school friend and one of my close friends here in Mumbai along with DD. She just returned from the UK last week." "The other day? How long has he been meeting with this bimbo?"- her frustrated and annoyed mind was overthinking. "Why the bloody hell do all your close friends have to be girls?" she muttered under her breath annoyed as she squeezed the paratha some more. "Huhhh What?..Did you say something Avni?" questioned Neil unable to comprehend what she actually muttered. " No no.. n..n..nothing..Neil" lied Avni. "Hi Avni" said Kanisha offering her hand for a shake. "Hi" said Avni feigning a fake smile and gesturing her oily hands indicating that she wasn't interested in shaking hands with her. Though the actual reason being the extreme jealousy that was screaming from every inch of her on seeing this random girl seated beside Neil. She rolled her eyes in annoyance as she heard them talking about their past. Unable to overcome the frustration, she was biting the paratha that she was eating with her teeth so hard. "What would you like to have? I have made some parathas for breakfast. Please help yourself to some" said Neil smiling at Kanisha. She kindly refused saying "No Neil. I already had breakfast at home. I would love to go out for dinner with you sometime" she said beaming. Avni's eyes were covered in fury and her heart was burning inside. The more she tried to prevent silly thoughts from coming into her mind, the more she couldn't avoid them. "Most definitely. I will plan a dinner date for the two of us sometime. " he replied winking at her. On hearing the word "date" Avni's blood boiled. "Will you atleast have some tea/coffee?" asked Neil. "Okay fine. I shall have some coffee" said Kanisha. Avni realized she couldn't sit amidst them anymore, because with time she was slowly losing her patience and sanity, and would at any moment end up pulling out the girl's hair in anger. "I...I'll make it for you. I am anyway headed toward the kitchen; I shall make it. You guys can resume your stories" she said and hurriedly tried to walk away from there. "Are you sure Avni?" asked Neil as she was walking. She turned slightly and shook her head in a yes. She added the milk and coffee powder and allowed it to boil for a while. Meanwhile she could hear the laughing voices of the duo at the table."Let me see how much you laugh after drinking this..Arrgggghhh" she exclaimed in a fit of rage and pulled out the salt bottle and poured a spoonful into the coffee. She served it to Kanisha. Kanisha immediately spat it out after having the first sip. "What happened Kanisha?" asked Neil, alarmed at seeing her reaction, while Avni's heart leapt in joy and a victorious smirk reigned her face. "N..n..nothing Neil. I realized I'm just not in the mood for coffee. So let it be. I'm really sorry Avni. I made you go through the trouble of making it." said Kanisha. Avni's sane mind slapped back at her for overreacting and making the situation go entirely out of hand. She could have chosen not to react, but she did. Why was she experiencing these emotions? Was she really jealous of Kanisha? Was she really that affected by that hug and the closeness of the duo? She had so many questions but no answers. "It's fine" said Avni, grabbed the cup and marched towards the kitchen. "Neil so you wanted to discuss about tomorrow, right?" asked Kanisha after Avni had left. "Yes I do, but not here. Let's go out somewhere" suggested Neil. "Ok" she nodded in agreement and the couple walked out the door. As Avni saw them leaving together, a strong knot formed in her stomach. Tears involuntarily made their way down her face.