Chapter 11 - Part 1

Hello Everyone😀 Sorry for the delay in posting up this chapter. It took me quite some time to write this part. Also Wattpad has been acting up for some strange reason, due to which the chapter took long to get uploaded.😕 It was supposed to be published in the morning, but I was not able to. Anyone else facing the same issue? Or is it only me? Anyhow, Hope you enjoy this part😁

--------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning Neil walked towards the dining table, anticipating breakfast to be already served. It was Avni's turn to cook and he was surprised to find the table empty. She wasn't around either. "This lazy girl. I'm sure she is still dozing away to glory and wants me to do all the cooking for today. Time to wake her up in my style. Let me just douse this tumbler of water on her pretty face and madam will be up in a jiffy!" he said to himself with his trademark evil smirk. He filled a glass of water and slowly walked towards her room. As he approached her room, the sight before him distressed him. She was curled up under her bed-sheet in a cocoon position. She was rubbing her arms with the quilt and it seemed to him like she was shivering. He placed the glass of water down on the table beside her bed. He thought that maybe the running AC might have resulted in her feeling cold, so he proceeded forward to switch it off. He came near her bed and stretched out his hands closer to her face. He wanted to touch and feel her to know if she was alright, but was in a dilemma if that would be the right thing to do. After finally giving into his inner turmoil, he placed his hand softly on her forehead to check if she was fine, and to his horror realized that it was burning hot. She seemed to be running a high fever and now things became clearer to him. He held her hands in between his palms and rubbed them vigorously, in an attempt to make her feel warm. "Avni...Avni" he called out to her softly. She tossed around in her bed and muttered a "Hmmm" in response. "Avni are you alright? You seem to be running a temperature and you look uneasy too" he asked in a tone laced with concern. "I'm very tired Neil and I'm feeling extremely cold" she replied back in a feeble voice. Immediately Neil pulled out his phone and reached out to DD. "Hi Neil. I hope you are doing fine. How is everything at your end?" asked DD, on picking the call. "DD I'm absolutely fine but I really need your help urgently. Avni seems to have fallen sick and she is running a high temperature. Doesn't seem like she is in a state to get out of bed. Do you happen to know any doctor who could come home and have a look at her? I don't know anyone here as I'm new to this place" said Neil worried. 'Relax Neil. Do not worry. I happen to know a family doctor. His name is Dr. Amit. I shall call and request him to drop by your house to have a look at Avni. Expect a call anytime from him soon." replied DD. "Thank You so much DD. That really means a lot to me." said Neil. "Come on Neil. Quit being so formal with me.' said DD. He then walked closer to Avni, gently stroked her hair and said "The doctor will be here soon to have a look at you. Don't worry Avni. You will be fine soon." As he was comforting her patting her, his phone rang. Seeing the unknown number, he figured it might be the doctor and immediately picked up the call. "Hello Dr. Amit, this is Neil here. I hope DD briefed you about the situation. I shall text you my address. Could you please come over here as soon as possible?" he asked anxiously. "Yes Mr. Neil. DD just contacted me a few minutes ago. I hear you are his friend. I will reach there shortly.", replied Dr. Amit. Few minutes later the doctor arrived at their house. He checked on her with his equipment. "Is she alright doctor? ", asked Neil in a very concerned tone. "She is running a high temperature. Must be a viral infection. I have given her a shot and she should feel better in a few hours. In case the temperature does not come down by evening, reach out to me again. Here's the prescription of the medicines that she requires.", said Dr. Amit handing out a sheet to him after having signed it. "Thank You so much doctor. There is nothing to worry right? Will she be alright soon?" he asked again after handing the fees to him, still being apprehensive. "Mr. Neil this is the third time you have asked me this from the time I have arrived here. She will be perfectly alright soon. I must say you indeed love her a lot- your wife is very lucky to have such a caring husband.", he replied smiling. "Also please try to avoid a hot water bath as the temperature is yet to come down. Instead you can maybe give her a sponge bath with some lukewarm water once she feels better.", he added and left from the house. The words wife and sponge bath had befuddled him for a minute. Even before he could clear the misconception, the doctor had walked out of his sight. He gulped down a breath that he had been struggling to take for some time now. He walked out to get her some food along with the prescribed medicines.