Chapter - 14

Hello My Dear Readers😀

So I was in two minds the last time to update, but it seems that quite a few people are still looking forward to the story. So I do not want to disappoint them and have decided to continue writing😃 But due to my health, I may not be able to give very quick updates(though I shall try my best). Thank You to everyone who responded☺️ Also Thank You everyone for the kind 'Get Well Soon' wishes😘❤️ I am feeling much better now. Hope you enjoy this update😃

--------------------------------------------------------------

The next two days passed without much being exchanged between Avni and Neil. Both were extremely hurt by whatever had transpired between them earlier that week. They spoke to each other only when it was absolutely necessary. The day of the masquerade party was fast approaching. Neil was planning intently in order to make sure everything would go smooth. He wanted Vidyut and Juhi to part ways as early as he could get them to, and move out of the house soon. His mind wasn't clear on his intentions to move out soon - whether it was because he wanted to be reunited with Juhi or whether he was trying to run away from Avni. Avni's mind was going through a similar set of conflicted emotions. As they sat to eat their breakfast, they watched the couple across them on the screen. "I am so excited for the party Vidyut" chirped Juhi in excitement as she hugged him tightly. "Same here darling. By the way, do you have a dress for the party?" asked Vidyut hugging her back. "No. Not yet! I think we ought to go shopping some time next week before the party.", suggested Juhi. "Ok darling. I shall take out a day in the next week to take you shopping my princess.", he said pecking her on the cheek. Neil and Avni were annoyed seeing the scene in front of their eyes. They however dared not to look at each other. They weren't sure what the actual reason behind their insecurity was - Were they really jealous of the couple's proximity or was it because of the ongoing unresolved tension between the two of them. Both were fighting a hard battle of ego not to make the first move to discuss anything. After experiencing a few conflicting emotions, Neil walked out of the house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was time to execute the second part of his game plan. He stepped into a garments store. "I need to buy a burkha for my girlfriend. Could you please help me out with it?" he asked the female assistant at the shop. The lady beamed wide on seeing his handsome face and said, "Sure Sir. Why not? Of course, I can help you. Please be seated while I get some samples for you to choose.", she said as she signaled to a helper to get a chair for him. As he sat waiting for the store representative, the internal conflict brewing in his mind refused to leave him. "I think I should talk to Avni. Wait no! I shouldn't. She clearly marked the boundary for me. I'm just another random person in her life. But then, I also need to take her to this party. How can I not talk to her? Uffff why is this so complicated?" he muttered to himself, as he rested his face in between his palms. 'Here you go Sir. There are different sizes available. You can choose from these. If you need more designs in a higher range, I can get those for you too.", she said displaying the different pieces of burkhas. He selected a medium sized black piece, paid the shopkeeper and walked out of the store. He then picked up a few female-scented perfumes on the way from another store and then walked back homeward.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile Avni was fighting her inner turmoil. 'I have to talk to Neil. But it's really so hard to talk to him. I feel I'm getting attracted to him like a magnet and that's not what I am here for. He made it very clear to me the other day that he wants to be independent. He is here only for Juhi. He obviously has no feelings for me. But I also have to go to the party with him. Gosh! How did this become so complicated?' she contemplated turning sad. She walked over to his side of the cupboard. It was high time she did something about Juhi. She began to ransack Neil's half to see if she could find anything, while suddenly she caught hold of a book. It seemed like it was a diary. It was secured by a tiny lock on the side which she could easily open with a flick. 'Maybe he forgot to lock it. It is so wrong to read other's diary Avni. Just put it away! But what if it has some information, that I need around Juhi? I'm sorry Neil for reading your diary.', she thought as she fought with her conscience. She was excited at the prospect of maybe finding something about Juhi in the diary. As she sat down to read the contents of the diary, she realized how deeply Neil adored Juhi. His words made her uneasy and it almost was like her heart burnt in jealousy. She was beginning to get irritated as she read along more anecdotes of his precious moments spent with Juhi. She got to know about a side of Neil that she hadn't witnessed at all in all these days of living with him. He was an ardent lover - but all of that love was for Juhi. She shut the book in annoyance and muttered angrily, "Hmmphh..He is so sweet with her, but he is so harsh with me! All that he can think of is arguing, fighting and hurting me. Arrgggg..he is so annoying!" She wasn't sure whether she was bothered because of his attitude towards her or because of the immense love he had for Juhi. She rapidly skimmed through the pages to see if she could find any hints about Juhi's address, but luck wasn't in her favor. She tossed the book back to its original place and lay down on her bed, unable to flush out the oozing jealousy and disappointment from her mind. In no time, she drifted away to sleep.