Chapter - 15

The next morning, when Avni walked into the kitchen she spotted Neil trying to prepare food. She noticed that there was some dosa batter lying on the kitchen slab close to the stove. Her face lit up in joy as he was preparing one of her favorite dishes. She walked across to the idols she had kept in her room on her table to silently offer some prayers. After she was done with her prayers few minutes later, she started to feel a bit hungry. Hence, she decided to walk over to the kitchen. The sight before her left her amused and she couldn't help but giggle. Neil was struggling with the ladle and trying to spread the dosa batter. He failed miserably in spreading it evenly leaving big holes in between. To make things worse, he had turned the flame so high, that the other side of the dosa was charred. An amusing smile played on her lips as she continued to watch him. "Need some help Neil?" she asked, unable to hold back her grins. "No Thank You! I shall manage.", he retorted and continued to struggled vigorously to get the sticky burnt dosa off the pan. Avni stood there, leaning against the wall, with her hands folded and staring at him. She obviously couldn't miss this free entertainment she was getting. Neil could sense her presence from the corner of his eye. He really needed her help at this stage, but his fragile male ego prevented him from asking her for any – not from her at-least. He continued to struggle with the batter and ladle, and his patience was slipping away with every passing second. He continued to curse himself for having brought the batter in the first place. Avni knew that he wouldn't give up on his ego, but she found his gesture of trying to make something different very endearing. She made up her mind to help him and walked up to him and stood beside him. "What?" he asked startled to find her suddenly beside him when he turned. "Neil let me help you.", she said softly. "No, I can manage by myself.", he tried to hush her again. "I know that you can manage by yourself, but I still want to help you. Please let me help you.", she said in the sweetest tone and an adorable puppy dog look adorning her face. That cute face did something to him internally – he found it hard to resist his sudden urge to kiss those puffed cheeks and pouty lips. His insides melted and he immediately gave the ladle to her. As she continued to instruct him, he couldn't take his eyes off her beautiful face. Her instructions went unheard, as he ended up lost in her cute facial expressions as she taught him how to pour the batter, spread and make the dosa. His eyes were fixated on her pretty face, her rosy lips, the beauty spot just above her lips, her sharp nose, her almond-shaped eyes, her hairlocks flying haphazardly on her face, and for some reason it budged to move away from there, while she was busy explaining the procedure to him. Once she was done, looking up to him, she asked "So did you follow it? See it's very simple". Seeing him so lost, she waved her hands in front of him. He still did not budge. She then shook his shoulder and said "Neil. Are you alright?". Her nudge broke him from the trance and he said "Huhhh..what??" "Did you follow what I just showed you?" she questioned. "Y..y ...yes I did" he stuttered realizing he hadn't heard a single word-thanks to her cute pout which made him forget everything around him. He smacked to himself and muttered, "Focus Neil FOCUS..and NOT on HER". He picked the batter and tried to spread it again. Seeing him struggle, she held her hand over his and moved it to spread the batter evenly. Her sudden hold on his hand rendered him numb. He had no idea why she was having such an effect on him. "Put the oil Neil" she said hurriedly. "Where?" he questioned her, confounded. "Oh God!..at the sides Neil" she said facepalming, as she proceeded to pour the oil by herself. She held his hand again as she flipped dosa with the ladle. "It's so simple Neil. Why are you making it so complicated?" she said dragging her words. As she turned to go, he called out to her. "A...Avni..can you help me with one more please?", he implored. "Okay sure. Or you know what? Let me do it. I shall get it done faster", she suggested. "N..n..noo..You can just guide me and I'll do it", he said fumbling. He wasn't sure what the reason was for his refusal of her preparing it by herself-whether it was because he wanted to do it all by himself or because he wanted her to help him just as she had done a few minutes ago, so that he could be in her vicinity for more time. As she spread out the batter, from behind her, he gently placed his hand over hers, intertwining his fingers between hers. She gulped a bit at his sudden grasp of her hand, as she was totally not expecting it. Brushing away all the silly thoughts clouding her mind, she continued to spread the batter. Once she was done, she whispered "Neil" as she tried to wriggle her hand free. He reluctantly let go of her hand. After she had poured the oil and held the ladle, his fingers once again entwined with hers, as she continued to flip the dosa back and forth. He stood behind her and watched peering over her neck. She could feel his warm breath on her neck and she closed her eyes in response. His grip on her hands and his breath on her neck were tormenting her. She took a deep breath and continued to prepare the dosa, trying hard to brush away all the sensations flooding her. Once she was done, she let go of the ladle, turned swiftly and ended up banging into his chest. He held her back with one hand to support her as their eyes met. "I...I.. think I should go..I hope you will manage now" she struggled with her words, trying to avoid his gaze. "Yes, I will manage" he replied and instantly let go of her. After she had left, he smacked his own head softly thinking 'What the hell is wrong with you? Why do you always lose yourself in her presence? This is not good news. You should get out of here as soon as possible'. Meanwhile Avni retired to her room, thinking about whatever had chanced between her and Neil a while ago. "What is wrong with you Avni? Why can't you control your silly thoughts in his proximity? You always end up making a fool of yourself in front of him" saying so, she smacked herself.