Chapter 12

The next day when Neil arrived at the dining table, Avni had already laid the breakfast. He served some food on his plate, turned on the projector and walked towards the sofa to sit and spy on the couple's conversation. Both Avni and Neil had not uttered a single word to each other after last evening's encounter. They were trying their best to avoid their eyes from meeting each other's. Their eye-locks usually were a recipe for disaster – it had the capacity to make them give up on their sanity. 'You will not look at her. Even if there is an absolute need and you have to look at her, you will not look at her for more than 5 seconds' Neil instructed his brain stringently.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Sweetheart. I have just received an invitation from my office for a masquerade party. It has been sponsored by the CEO of the company and he wants to personally meet and interact with all the employees under one roof. It will be held on the Friday evening of next week at the Marina Bay Lounge. That is one classy venue. Also, you will get an opportunity to meet up with all my other colleagues too.", said Vidyut smiling as he took a bite of his toast. "A masquerade party? Wow! That sounds like so much fun! But Vidyut, you do remember what happened the last time we attended the party hosted by your colleagues. I am still quite embarrassed to face them. I hope nothing untowardly happens this time.", said Juhi, her face switching from being elated to disappointment in a fraction of seconds. "Don't worry darling. My colleagues are not the judgmental type and they are a bunch of wonderful people. They know me well and we maintain a certain mutual respect between us. All will be well. You just focus on getting ready to attend this party.", said Vidyut hugging her, stroking her back comfortingly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"We are going to this masquerade party" said Neil all of a sudden almost startling Avni, his eyes still being transfixed on the projector. "What are you saying? How can we possibly go there? They will identify us. We will get caught Neil." Said Avni confused, panicking at his idea. "Dear Miss Cleopatra. Do you ever plan to use your brain at some point of time at-least? Oh wait, I almost forgot! Brain cells don't actually reside in that tiny pretty head of yours.", said Neil mocking her. "Neil, can you stop being sarcastic for once and tell me what's going in that devious mind of yours? By the way, do I need to keep reminding you of how all your 'so called plans' flop all the time? You do remember what happened the last time, don't you? If I don't have brains, then I must say, yours have rusted with a lot of dust settled on them.", she bit back at him. "Well luck is on our side this time. You see that it's a masquerade party. We have to wear a mask and be present at the venue. We shall keep our masks on most of the time that we are there. In case, we ever happen to encounter a situation that demands us to remove our masks, we can always excuse ourselves to the nearest restroom or somehow make up some excuse to get out of there. Do not worry. I shall train you well before we go to that party!" he said flashing a sly grin across his face. "And how exactly do you plan to get us inside the party venue? It requires an invite Einstein, unless you think of yourself as some big shot celebrity to whom they would give a free pass!" she retorted sarcastically. "I shall take care of that. Wait and watch my magic! There is no need for you to tax your non-existent brains.", he replied taunting her. "Whatever!" she exclaimed, rolling her eyes. "Oh, and by the way my rebellious queen, are you even aware of the basics of ballroom dancing?" he questioned her. Avni had never danced in her life. She was never so much into arts. The only thing that she had possibly tried was music, and that too was only because she could impress Vidyut who had been an ardent music lover. "I...I..know other forms of dancing, but I have not really come across ballroom dancing.", she stuttered as she lied to him. Her ego was too big to tell him that she had never danced in her life. She didn't want to reveal the truth, not in front of him at-least. It would result in an unending taunt session. "Oh well. I didn't really expect you to know it either!" he scoffed. "What do you mean? How could you.." she began to yell at him, while he cut her off midway. "Shhhh.. Starting today, every evening for one hour, I shall be teaching you ballroom dancing, until you pick it up. I don't want us to make a fool of ourselves in the party in case we need to dance.", he stated and walked out from there. Avni gulped as she realized she had never danced before. She feared if she would even be able to move, forget dancing, and was now starting to get nervous thinking that her lie would by caught by Neil. On the other hand, Neil had a completely different set of thoughts bothering him. 'Ballroom dancing is a close form of dancing. It demands proximity to your dance partner. Dear God, please grant me with all the self-control and resistance that is present in the world, to not end up doing anything silly for like the nth time!' he muttered to himself looking up at the skies.