Chapter - 6

Avni was awakened by the sounds of the chirping birds the next morning. She decided to take a quick shower, so grabbed her towel and was making her way towards, the bathroom. It was then that her eyes fell on Neil who was already awake and invested in a workout session in the living room. He was shirtless, wearing a long black track pant. Her eyes widened on seeing his well-toned body and the way his muscles flexed. She hid behind the wall and stealthily watched him from a distance. 'Not bad at all..He does look quite hot' she thought to herself, as a silly grin lit up on her face. It was the sound of her phone alarm that broke her from reverie. She immediately ran towards her phone and switched off the alarm. 'What was all that about? What is wrong with you Avni? Why were you staring at that idiot? He is nothing but a stranger who has offered to share an apartment with you. Your path maybe the same, but your destinations are entirely different. Focus Avni Focus! Your mind needs to be entirely focused on how to win back Vidyut' she thought to herself, mentally chiding herself, dismissing the frivolous thoughts she was having a few minutes ago. She had a quick shower and dressed up in a red sari as she had decided to pay a visit to a temple, later on in the day. She walked to kitchen and started preparing breakfast for the two of them. Meanwhile, Neil had just got done with his daily workout routine and decided to hit the shower. As he was walking towards the bathroom, his eyes fell on Avni. He could not take his eyes off her. He slowly moved towards the wall and hid from behind to avoid getting caught. She was looking extremely gorgeous in that red sari. Few strands of her hair were still wet and were hanging loosely. The way the sari clung perfectly to her curves further heightened her beauty. She was totally oblivious to the fact that a pair of eyes were scanning her from a distance, and was totally immersed in her cooking. She realized she needed some ingredients which were present on the top shelf. She tried to reach out for it, by standing on her toes and extending her hand to the length possible. In this attempt, her creamy bare waist now lay exposed to Neil and his eyes which were focused on her pretty face, immediately moved downward. No matter how much he tried to look away, his eyes would immediately revert back as though it was a reflex action. He was lost in her and he didn't even realize when he started walking towards her. She realized that her futile attempts to try reaching out for it were of no use, so she dragged a chair to her rescue. She climbed and stood on it carefully, and was now able to reach the box easily. She grabbed the box, and was just about to get off the chair, when the in-skirt of her sari got stuck in between her legs. She tripped, lost her balance and was about to hit the floor. Fearing the impending pain, she shut her eyes tight, as the box she had picked, dropped from her hand and landed on the kitchen counter. She felt a pair of strong arms grab her by the waist and it was then that she finally opened her eyes to see the same familiar brown eyes looking at her intently. Neil had run to her almost immediately when he saw her struggle and had caught her safely in his arms, just on time. Their eyes intensely locked together for a few seconds. She raised herself up, encircling her arms around his shoulder for support. He sensed that she was quite uncomfortable, so he lifted her from the chair and slowly lowered her legs down, pulling her closer to him while doing so. Her head landed on his chest, as she held on to him tightly, she could almost hear his heart beat due to the proximity. Her sweet scent was driving him crazy. He wanted to pull her closer to him if that was possible. She suddenly became aware of his warm fingers which were grazing the smooth skin on her bare waist at intervals. She couldn't help but let out a gasp. She slowly disentangled her hands from around his neck, and stepped backwards away from him. She looked down not wanting to face him. He sensed her move and realizing the discomfort and awkwardness of the situation, he gradually retracted his hands from her. They both had a slight embarrassed look on their faces. She then placed her hands on her hips, looked at him and said in an irritated tone, "Mister Neil. Just what are you here in the kitchen for? And who gave you the right to touch me?". "Hello Madam. I guess you've forgotten that I'm equally an important part of this house. I too have paid money for staying here. I can be here whenever I want to. Got it?" he said, looking at her fixedly. "Oh, and why do you think so high of yourself, like as though you are some Princess Cleopatra? How dare I touch you? My foot! You should be grateful to me that I was here right on time preventing you from having a nasty fall. I helped you out and this is what I receive in return – As always, tonnes of that overbearing attitude of yours. Have your parents never taught you the word Thank You?" he hissed back at her. "Whatever!" she said, rolling her eyes at him. Neil chided himself for always losing himself in her proximity. Being near her was like touching a livewire. He just couldn't trust himself around her and he hated that being close to her was starting to distract him. 'Since when did you become a perv? Focus Neil. You have got to focus. You are here only for Juhi. Nothing else matters more than her' he thought, rebuking himself. He picked up his towel and headed to have his shower. Before he stepped out of the kitchen, he swiftly turned around and said to her "You know Avni you might not be grateful to me. But I am very sure that the floor below is extremely thankful to me. After all the poor thing couldn't have possibly borne your weight. It would have crumbled to pieces. Actually, I think I might have sprained my hand. Oucchh!", he said faking some pain as he shook his hand. "Hawww..What do you mean? You are a horrible person. I hate you!", yelled Avni. "Oh, the feeling is mutual my darling!" said Neil smirking, as he winked at her before hitting the shower, leaving Avni fuming behind.