Paint

I didn't even get time to fall asleep before a door opened at the end of the hall, and soft feet pattered out of the room, a small sound that sounded like sniffling coming from whoever exited. I sat up, blinking at Adam, who seemed to be heading for Alisha's room. "Hey, buddy," I whispered, watching as his head turned to me. "What's wrong?" I asked, getting up and kneeling beside him. I was barely speaking to make sure not to wake up Alisha. "Bad dream.." He whimpered, rubbing his fists over his eyes. "The scary men were trying to get me again. The ones with no faces." He sniffled, wrapping his arms around my neck.

"It wasn't real darling, I know it feels real, but it's not," I whispered, wrapping my arms around him. "Do you want me to stay in your room to let your mommy sleep?" I asked, feeling him nod against my shoulder. "Alright, come on." I lifted him gently, closing his door as quietly as I could with my foot when I walked into his room. He has a cute room, painted like it was underwater, with fish toys and a bed shaped and decorated like a cute cartoon shark. It was a big bed, big enough that I betted I could sleep in it perfectly fine.

"I'll tell you what," I started, laying down with the ginger boy in my arms. I spread out my wings, wrapping them around him tightly and curling my legs up so the gap under my wings was covered. "Now the bad dreams have to get through me before they can get to you." I whispered, running my hand over his hair. "And I'm really strong. I can snap a tree with my bare hands, I'll protect you." I smiled at the boy, who was already half asleep. "Thannya." He murmured, his breathing evening out. I fell asleep after him, but I didn't sleep long enough to ever face my own nightmares.

I woke up to Adam playing with my necklace, his hair ruffled with a smile on his face. "Aye, give me that." I chuckled, pulling the pendant gently from his hand. "The bad men didn't come back." He told me proudly. "Never once!" He stared up into my green eyes with his brown ones that looked like someone had melted milk chocolate, dark chocolate and white chocolate and mixed them just enough to make it swirly. "Oh yeah? Maybe it was because I was so scary they ran away, and they'll never come back." I smiled at the boy, who nodded eagerly.

I heard a door open, and relaxed my wings enough to see over them. I was met by Alisha's slightly confused face. "I was wondering where Adam was." She smiled. "Normally he's up by now. Did you not have the bad dream last night?" She asked Adam. He grinned at her. "I did! But then Citrus came and protecteded me with her wingses!" He laughed, wrapping his arms around my neck as I sat up, using my arms to support my weight.

"Thank you, I actually haven't had a full night's sleep in months." Alisha grinned. "Iggy was looking for you, said you weren't in your room when you woke up. They're all a bit worried, do you want me to tell them you're with Adam?" She smiled. I nodded gratefully. "Come on Adam, let me get you changed." Alisha beckoned to the boy.

"I can do that, if you want." I told Alisha, poking the boy in the ribs, smiling as he laughed from the motion. "I used to look after Nudge, Gazzy and Angel. It's nice to look after a little kid again." I admitted, tickling Adam as I spoke. "Are you sure? It would be a massive help, I'm trying to do paperwork and make breakfast at the same time, plus I'm meant to be opening the shop in an hour." Alisha looked slightly rushed, so I just nodded and waved her off.

"Do you have anywhere to be today, little man?" I asked him as I swung my legs over the side of the bed. "No! It's a h- holla... holly.." He struggled with the word. "Holiday. Holl-i-day." I sounded out for him. "Holiday." He repeated after me. "Yeah! One of those." He nodded. I hummed. "Aaalright, where do you normally keep your clothes?" I asked him. He pointed to a wardrobe at the other side of his room, and I got up.

"Does your mama let you choose what to wear?" I asked. He shook his head in response, brown eyes sparkling as he sat on the edge of his bed, swinging his legs. I grinned, getting an idea. "Would you like to choose what to wear?" I asked, opening his cupboard. The boy practically squealed in excitement as he jumped off his bed and ran over to my waiting form. "Yes! Yes! Yes!" He chanted, jumping on the spot.