Almost

"Cee." A voice whispered in my ear. It was June 6th, and even during the late hours of the night, I was boiling. Iggy was leaning over me, in nothing but boxers. "Hey. Broghan needs us for something." He was gentle to fix my bra strap, which had slid down my arm sometime during the night. I was in my own bed, trying not to die from the heat. I wasn't even under the covers, exposing myself as I wore nothing but underwear.

"At 2 in the night?" I murmured, reaching out my arms to wrap them around his neck and pull him on top of me. His cool temperature was like heaven, so much so I let out an audible moan. "You're like a 6'0 ice pack..." I groaned. He let out a chuckle.

"It sounded important. Really important." He brought his lips to the crook of my neck, gently brushing the soft skin there. "And she was getting impatient. I tried to convince her to wait until the morning, but she didn't listen to me." He pushed my bra strap out of the way as his lips traveled to my shoulder.

"If you want me to go anywhere, you shouldn't be kissing me like that." I whispered, which caused him to smile and pull away. His skin felt soft and slightly rough. Comforting. I sat upright once he had pulled himself off me and finally pulled on the shorts he had brought in with him. I sighed as I managed to get a nightgown on, not bothering with trousers. I followed him downstairs where the other two older flock members were waiting with Broghan.

"Finally." Fang sighed. "We've been waiting for like, 6 minutes. I want to sleep again." He wasn't wearing a shirt either - I don't blame him. Max was sitting in a tank top and shorts, and Broghan was looking around to see if this damn place had air conditioning. She turned around after a minute to address us.

"So, we have some big news." Broghan said slowly, pointing at the file on the small coffee table in between the couches. The top of the file read 'Project Avian', the apparent code name for our case on the Burnen Corporation. "You've won the case. The only issue is, we need to find a way to arrest the Corporation's leader. It's suspected that he has done testing on himself to make himself resistant to bullets, and stronger than most humans, meaning a team of guards wouldn't help much."

Broghan looked up, and I seemed to be the only one who'd caught on. "I'll do it," I said instantly. "He'll have nothing on me." The flock looked to me, suddenly startled at the realization of what Broghan had been hinting at. "I hoped you'd say that. This'll be a way of sealing off your wishes, Citrus. You'll be going into the main laboratory and going straight up to his office."

"Wait, you can't be serious!" Iggy protested. "She's strong, I get that, but she's not resistant to bullets. Who knows how many guards and shooters there are! She could get killed!" His voice sounded so desperate that I turned and hugged him. "Don't worry," I mumbled. "I've got telekinesis, and I can be fast. I'll put on a bulletproof vest if you want."

Iggy was trembling when he hugged me back, shaking his head over and over like he could shake the thoughts out of his ears. "Please..." He whimpered. "I can't lose you... if you're gonna do this, don't get hurt, okay?" He asked gently, and I wanted nothing more in the world to kiss him.

Sadly, Max was there.
Why hadn't we told Max yet? I don't know. Ask my brain.
Actually, why were the only people I'd told Broghan and Fang?
Anyway.

"I'm not going anywhere, dumbass. I'll be back before you know it." I let go of him and turned to Broghan. "When are we leaving?" I asked, adjusting my nightgown slightly. Broghan smiled at my eagerness and ran her hand back through her hair. "2 hours. Get ready." She said. I nodded, turned on my heel and walked upstairs to get changed.

-

Sitting in the police car behind an abandoned building, my heart was racing. I had my hand clenched around the handle of the gun on my belt, and Iggy sat next to me. He, and the other older members of the flock, had insisted on coming to at least be there in case something were to go wrong. His hand was wrapped firmly around mine, and I was glad we were the only two in that car now. The policemen that had driven us had left to go quietly talk to the others. I could just about see the building I was meant to infiltrate in the distance, looking so inconspicuous.