Month

The first three days were fine. Iggy, Max, Fang got part-time jobs at a retail store, while I got a full-time job working at a rescue center. The younger children stayed and helped at the shop, and got some money from my family for helping.

The next four days were amazing for the flock, as they had developed a new ability. They could now do what I could do, retract their wings into their bodies. Granted, with agonizing pain. I had to catch Nudge and Angel when they did it the first time because they practically collapsed. I remember how excited they were to be able to do it. It gave them normalcy.

That was the beginning of the divide. The island we had all stood on cracked slightly, between me and the flock. I could still walk across it, I wasn't alone, but we were different now. They could go out without fear of their wings being found out, without fear of them being seen as freaks. I still had my markings. I still had my teeth. I still had my eyes, and a new development I had decided to hide from everyone, especially Iggy. I refuse to acknowledge it.

Sunday on week two, I came downstairs after the younger children had gone to bed and my mother and Alisha had also headed to bed for the night. The elders were sitting at the table, laughing about something I didn't exactly understand.

"What are you talking about?" I asked curiously, tying my hair up as I talked. I was planning on going to the 24-hour gym, since I had just woken up from a nightmare. I wouldn't tell them that though. I didn't want them to worry.

"You'd have to have been there." Max said through laughter. Fang covered his mouth with his hand to block the smile. "It's something to do with our friends at work." He informed quickly. Iggy gave me a small smile before continuing to talk to Max and Fang.

I felt the crack grow slightly wider, like something had lightly pushed it apart.

It was Christmas Eve on week three now. We were all sitting by the fireplace, and I listened silently as they all traded stories about their new friends they had made at out-of-school clubs or work. I didn't contribute, I wouldn't have anything to contribute if they had even acknowledged me being there. I smiled and dismissed a few of Iggy's slightly worried comments about how quiet I seemed, but I felt lonely.

I couldn't step across the crack now. I have to jump.

I actually enjoyed Christmas. We opened presents, Iggy took me around town for a few hours to see the lights, and we had a normal Christmas dinner. It was like we were a normal functioning family. Well, it was like they were.

"Can I invite a friend over for an hour?" Nudge asked curiously.

"I think we should hold off on that, I mean, we all look very different. It might confuse your friend." Max was looking at me when she said that. I focused my gaze on the floor.

"Aaaaww, it's all your fault Citrus." Nudge said jokingly. Jokingly, yet the words hurt. The words that agreed with what my brain told me. That it was all my fault. I stood up and left without another word, ignoring the voices calling for me. I ignored the knock on my door an hour later, even when I realized it was Iggy calling me downstairs for dessert. I felt nauseous, tired and empty.

The gap was larger now, it was now two cliffs falling farther and farther apart instead of an island with a crack.

"Hey, Iggy?" I asked. It was getting closer to new years. I had been doing some paperwork for my job at the dining table while Iggy sat in the living room portion of the room. "Do you want to hang out for new years?" I hoped I didn't sound too hopeful. I didn't want him to think I was relying on him when he obviously was beginning to find his own life.

"Sorry Cee. Max, Fang and I were planning to go out with our work friends. You'll have Gazzy, Angel, Future and your family though, so don't worry." He smiled at me. "We can hang out some other time, okay?"