Chapter 18

November 9th 1960

In the month and a half since finding out he was going to be a father things had calmed down in Jack's life. He no longer worried about his future, it was the future of Caroline and the baby that he worried about. His brother had made amends with Jackie and the family had welcomed her with open arms.

Jack had proposed to Jackie the night before election night, wanting to spend what could be his last night as a normal citizen as a fiancé. She of course had said yes.

The morning of November 9th, Jack was sleeping peacefully when Jackie jumped on top of him, giggling like mad. "Good morning, Mr. President!"

He stared at her for a moment before his eyes widened. "You're...I'm president?!?"

She laughed, kissing him. "Uh huh."

He grinned, laying his hands on her small baby bump. "You're First Lady...and the First Lady's going to have a baby."

She laughed. "I am."

"You've got five minutes to get out and greet the press, Jack!" Bobby called from downstairs.

Jack shook his head, kissing Jackie again. "Don't you think he'd want to show me some respect, now that I'm president."

Fifteen minutes later the couple emerged with little Caroline, smiling widely for the cameras. Jack stopped at the podium that Ted had set up for them and smiled before speaking. "Good morning. First off I'd like to thank the people of America for trusting me to be their next President. I look forward to the next few years and cannot wait to start making good on the promises I've made. As we prepare for a new administration, I also prepare for a new role of husband. Jacqueline Onassis and I will be privately marrying over the holidays. And the two of us cannot wait to come back in the new year as President and Mrs. Kennedy. Thank you and God bless."