Everything Changes (Part 1)

January 4, 1992

Veronica's POV

This is the first time I'm driving to school alone. Apparently Hank bought JD a car for Christmas. So now I have to do it alone. My dad woke up at 3 am to help me get going. Once we're done, I hug him and leave. Once shops start opening, I get a coffee to help me stay awake. I'm overjoyed when I get to Boston.

I go to my room, where I'm attacked by Erika. "How was your break?" She asks. Wow there's a lot to tell her. "It's a long story for another time." I start to unpack. "How was your break?" She sighs, "I had so much fun. We visited our family in Colorado and went skiing. I loved it." She shows me a picture of her and Grey in skiing attire. "So how was the ride back up with JD?" She looks like she's preparing to cringe at whatever happened. "Heather's dad bought him a car so he drove up himself. Besides, we've worked things out and are able to be just friends." I make my bed. "So there's no chance of you two getting back together?" She is clearly hopeful that there's a chance.

"No. I actually... I starting dating someone." Erika drops her stuff onto the bed. "What?" She grabs my shoulders. "Who?" I back up, "I think I mentioned her, but-" She grabs me again. "Her?" I swear to God if she doesn't stop grabbing me. "Yes! Her! Now can I finish?" She sits down. "Thank you... Anyways, she was one of the counselors at the camp I worked at. We ran into eat other and the rest is history." Erika is literally on the edge of her seat. "I'm so happy for you! I wish I could meet her!" She squeals. "Well she goes to a school in Boston so you could." Erika gets even more excited. "Don't freak her out when you meet her. You can be a little... much." She stops smiling, "I can be what?" I roll my eyes, "Erika, you know what I'm talking about."

I walk into the hallway. Kyle is walking towards the dorm. "Hey!" I smile at him. "Hey! How was your break?" He hugs me. "Good." I missed this big goofball. "So quick question: Why is JD in a good mood now? He definitely wasn't when I last saw him." He looks scared. "He and I had a talk so we're fine now. No need-" He interrupts me, "Babe, are you okay?" I look behind me and Erika is trying her best to contain herself. "Can I tell him or is he not on the list?" She whispers. "Tell me what?" Kyle says, suspicion evident in his voice. "Do you promise not to say anything to anyone?" I stick my pinky finger at him. "Yes. I promise." He intertwines his finger with mine. I give Erika a gesture, telling her to tell him.

She springs forward and pulls him into our room. "Veronica has a girlfriend." She does an excited dance. I try to contain my laughter. "A girlfriend? Who?" So he clearly knows the part about me being bisexual. Erika couldn't keep that in over Christmas break. "She's this girl I worked with when I was at the summer camp last year." He nods, "I'm happy for you. So does..." He gets quieter, "JD know?" He's acting like JD's in the room. "Yes. Again: He's okay."

That night, while the rest of them go to a frat party, I meet Alyssa at a park near her school. I kiss her once we're alone. "Hey." She grins. "Hey. So have you gotten unpacked?" I ask. "Pretty much. What about you?" We walk along the path, with just enough light to see. "Not really. My roommate was so excited to see me. And very excited to meet you." Alyssa stops. "What?" I turn around. "You told your roommate?" She isn't happy. "Alyssa, she was the one who helped me realize that I'm attracted to women. If I can't trust her, I can't trust anyone." That seems to have helped. She takes my hand and we continue walking.

"You know, it's weird how fast time has gone by. Everything changes so quickly." I say. "Yeah. It feels like just yesterday I was at camp with you." Alyssa rests her head on my shoulder as we walk. "When you were crushing on me?" I joke. "Yes when I was crushing on you." She playfully elbows me in the side. I start to think about this crush she had on me. "When did you first realize you liked me?" I'm just curious. She thinks for a minute. "Probably that first night when we were sitting on the porch. I thought you were attractive when I first saw you, but that was when I was like 'oh my god! I think I like her!" She looks at me, "So did you realize you liked me when I told you I did?" God, when did I realize it? I remember the way I looked at her when we were at the diner. "No it was at the diner that I was like 'oh my god! I think I like you!" I say the last part in a way that mimicked how she said it. "Wow. You're such a comedian!" She rolls her eyes.