Close Were We (Part 2)

February 14, 1991

Veronica's POV

I walk out of my Creative Writing class with Aaron. "Guess what today is?" Aaron nudges me. "I know. But I didn't really know what to get you." I admit. "It's okay, Babe." He kisses my cheek. I find myself grinning. We keep walking. "Well I got you a little something." He digs in his bag. "Aaron! Now I'm going to feel bad for not getting you anything." I hit his arm. He pulls out a box. Inside is a necklace with an A on it. "An A?" I was slightly confused. "For Aaron." He says. "Oh. Well I love it." He kisses me. When I pull away, I see JD looking disappointed. I turn back to Aaron. "Here let me put it on." He stops and gets behind me. He puts the necklace on me and turns me around to see it. "It looks great!" He is so excited about me wearing a necklace with his initial.

Kyle tells me that JD isn't in his dorm so I go over to hang out. Erika and him are cuddled up on the bed when I walk in. I sit in a chair in front of them. "So you guys have Valentine's Day plans?" I ask. "No. We were just going to hang out here." Erika shrugs. She feels around and huffs. "Shoot. I left that bag on my desk. Could you do me a favor and go get it for me?" She asks me. "Sure." I get up.

I unlock the door and swing it open. I'm looking down at my feet and see rose petals all over the floor. I look up to find JD standing in the middle of the room. "JD... what're you doing?" He stands very still. "I'm here to win you back. You loved it when I did this for your birthday." He then notices the necklace. "Did Aaron give you that?" He asks. I grab it. "I was planning on taking it off." I reach for the hook and take it off. I throw it down on my bed. "We were so close. We can be like that again. I promise I won't doubt you ever again." He still stands like a statue. "What about Aaron?" I know he can be a bit snobby but he's still a really good guy. "The guy gave you a necklace with his initial. He's a narcissist and a snob." JD gives me a "are you serious" look. I take a breath. "I want to be with you but I don't want to if you can't trust me." I say. "I do trust you." He takes a step forward. "Then prove it." I take a step. He pulls out a bag. It contains a custom picture frame with us on Christmas morning, a necklace with a V on it, and my favorite dessert. I put the stuff down. "So..." He looks at me for an answer. I back up and go into my drawer. I hand him a wrapped gift. "I bought it before we broke up." He smiles and opens it. It's a stack of songs books for the saxophone as well as a receipt for sax lessons. "Wow. Thanks." He smiles. "I still love you, JD." I tell him. "Really?" I nod and kiss him.

"Hey babe!" Aaron waltzes right into the room. He pauses when he sees us. "Why does this always happen?" I mutter so only JD can hear. "What the hell? I thought you two were done!" Aaron yells. "I'm sorry, Aaron. It's just not working out." I try to be as gentle as possible. "I gave you a necklace!" He points at the chain laying on the bed. "Yeah, with your initial." I point out. "If you think I want someone else's initial around my neck, you're more of a narcissist than I thought. Now get out of my room!" I demand. He scowls at JD and stomps out.

I turn back to JD. "Where were we?" I ask. JD picks me up and kisses me. He lays me on the bed. I wrap my arms around his neck and kiss him.

Someone knocks on the door. "Veronica? You in there?" Erika's voice asks. I sit up. "Um... one minute!" I call. I jump up and start putting clothes on. I throw JD's at him. He runs to the bathroom to change. "Come in." I tell her. Erika comes in. She smiles when she sees the messed up bed. "JD? You here?" She looks to the bathroom door. He pokes his head out. "So are you two together again?" She excitedly asks. I nod. Erika squeals and hugs me. She runs out and returns in a few minutes with Kyle. "We've done it!" She tells him. Kyle grins. "Knew it'd happen." I roll my eyes, "I hate you all." They all laugh. "You love us." Erika teases. "I do." I admit.