"Big Fun"

August 31, 1991

Veronica's POV

JD and I go to the lake. "I'm glad we got to have a date. It's been a while." I squeeze his hand. "Same." JD puts down the blanket and the basket. I sit on the blanket. He takes the food out of the picnic basket. We may have gotten off to a rocky start but I'd say sophomore year is going good." I smile. "Yeah, it is." He kisses me. "We're going to the frat party tomorrow, right?" I ask. We went to one the night before school started like we did last year. Now they're having another tomorrow and I really want to go to this one.

"Yeah. Totally." He sounds unsure. "What's wrong?" I ask. "I just don't see why we keep going to all these parties." He shrugs. "I just like going to them. You don't have to go. Erika and I will go alone." I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a fight. "I just don't get why we have to go to these parties. You were a never a partier in high school." He shakes his head. "So? I'm not the same as I was in high school. I just enjoy partying with my friends. If you don't want to go, I'm not making you." I get up. "You know what? I think I'm just going to go back to the dorms."

The next day, I put on my dress and head over to Kyle and JD's dorm with Erika. "Hey boys, you ready?" I make eye contact with JD. "You three have fun. I'm just gonna stay in." He sits on his bed. "Come on, JD." Kyle tries to convince him. JD doesn't budge so he gives up and leaves him.

"So are you and JD okay? You were acting weird." Erika asks as we walk to the party. "We're fine. We just had a small disagreement." I assure her. "Okay." She nods. "Yeah he didn't have a lot of fun last time." Kyle tells us. "He did not want to come tonight." I cross my arms. "Well let's just have fun tonight." Erika grabs my arm.

Grey is at the door when we get there. "Welcome you guys!" He lets us in. We get drinks and sit down somewhere. A guy walks by me and gives me a wink. I roll my eyes and take a sip from my cup. "Frat guys are so gross." Erika shakes her head. "Erika, you realize that your brother is a frat guy, right?" I giggle. "You know what I mean. I meant frat guys who do that crap." She gestures to the guy that had winked at me. I just smile and nod.

Kyle and Erika go off somewhere so I just sit by the pool outside. "What's a good looking girl like you doing alone?" I look up and the same guy from earlier is leaning against a chair in front of me. "Could you leave me alone?" I ask politely. "Why? Do you think I'm not good enough for you?" He pretends to be offended. "No. You're not. For several reasons. One: You're a sleazy frat guy. Two: You're terrible at flirting. And three: I have a boyfriend." I try to just ignore him but he sits beside me. "Could you go away?" I scoot back. He puts a hand on my leg. "Come on. It'll be big fun." He smirks. "Stop." I push him. "She told you to stop." Says a voice I know I've heard before. Aaron is standing over us. "Who are you?" The guy asks. "I'm her boyfriend. Now leave us alone!" He offers a hand to me. I reluctantly take it. He leads me back inside.

"Aaron, what the h-" He holds up his hand. "I'm sorry, did I not just help you out of getting molested by a creepy frat guy?" I roll my eyes, "My hero!" The audacity of this guy. "You're welcome." He puts his hands in his pockets. "Don't ever call yourself my boyfriend again." I scowl. "Well I was at one point." He argues. "And you were a terrible one. It was all about you. Plus my roommate absolutely hated you." If Erika saw me talking to him, she might just punch him. "Whatever. Emma just wanted you to be with that creepy guy you're dating now." He scoffs. "One: it's Erika. And two: he's not creepy. It's not his fault he's not pretentious and conceded like you." I go to walk away but he grabs my arm. "Way to be ungrateful for my help." He says, very close to my face. "If you don't back away, I will spit right between your eyes." I threaten. "Sure you will." He laughs. "Oh I will. I've done it before. And I'll do it again."

"I dare yo-" He's pushed back by none other than JD. "Leave her alone, creep!" He gives him a disgusted look before turning to me, "You wanna get out of here?" I nod.

We walk back home after letting Erika and Kyle know. "You were right. I shouldn't have gone." I sigh. "No I wasn't. You deserve to have fun. I'm sorry I was a dick earlier." He reaches for my hand. I let him hold it, "I forgive you." I grab onto his arm.

We watch a movie in JD's dorm until we fall asleep. When we wake up, Kyle is already back and in bed, with Erika curled up beside him. "This was much better than a stupid party." I hug him. "It really was." He agrees. I see that the clock says it's only three in the morning so we go back to sleep.