I'm Not That Girl

November 28, 1991

Veronica's POV

After dinner, we decide to walk to Heather's. JD and I hold hands while James seems like he doesn't want to hold Heather's. A car slows down as it passes and a guy is sitting on top of the car, legs inside the sunroof. "Hey lesbo! I didn't know conjugal visits were allowed for two dykes!" He yells. "Why don't you just admit you have a small dick? We all know you do!" I yell back. "You've probably never even seen one!" He laughs. "I'm sure you can barely see your own!" I hold up my middle finger. "Heather and I aren't a thing as I'm in a serious relationship with a guy," I motion to JD, "But even if I was, it'd be none of your business! Now go take your toxic masculinity elsewhere!" They drive off. James and Heather laugh. "Wow Veronica. That was intense." James smirks. I roll my eyes.

We eventually get to Heather's. We had changed into bathing suits before we left so once we got to the backyard, we just got in. JD and I sit on the steps, me with my legs around his waist. "You were really incredible today." He smiles. "I'm glad you think so." I smile and kiss him.

Heather's POV

I glance over at JD and Veronica. I try not to show how much it hurts. "I'll be right back." I tell James. I climb out of the pool and run to the bathroom. I look in the mirror as tears slowly fall down my face. I wipe them away. I've tried to get rid of my feelings for JD since I first felt them. But I couldn't then and I can't now. Veronica is the perfect girl for him. I'm not that girl. I wish I was, but I'm not. I fix my face, then I head back outside. James comes towards me when he sees me come back. "Hey, you okay?" He asks. My eyes quickly dart towards JD and Veronica. "Hey I think we should talk." James says a few seconds later. "Okay." I nod.

We sit on the patio. "Look: I know you still have feelings for JD." James sighs. "I-" I don't even know what to say. "I just think you need to take some time to figure out what you'll do about those feelings." He kisses my cheek and leaves. I sit at the edge of the pool trying not to cry.

Veronica's POV

I see James pull Heather away. When he leaves, I know he just broke up with her. "I'll be back." I get out and wrap a towel around me. "James!" I chase after him. "Hey. Sorry I'm just tired." He runs a hand through his hair. "Did you just break up with Heather?" I ask. "Yeah. I did." He looks down at his feet. "Hey it's okay. I get it. I'd do the same if it was the other way around." I say. "Well I'm going to head home." He sighs. "Okay. I'll see you."

JD's POV

Veronica goes after James so I get out and talk to Heather. "Hey are you okay?" I ask. "Yeah I'm fine." She wipes her eyes. "I don't believe that." She looks at me with a sad look, before turning away. "What?" I go around her so she has to look at me. "James just broke up with me." She says quietly. "Wow. I'm so sorry." I hug her. When we pull away, she looks at me intensely. I look away. "Wow so clearly nobody is happy with me today." She scoffs and sits down. "Well what do you expect me to do, Heather? You know I don't have feelings for you. And you know I'm with Veronica and love her. I get you have feelings for me but considering we're about to be related, you need to stop." I realize I was a little harsh. "I'm sorry, I just-" I try to fix it. "No it's fine. I get it. But you should go." She goes inside.

I sigh and leave through the gate. "What's wrong?" Veronica asks. "I tried to get Heather to stop having feelings for me and it kind of made her upset." I don't know what to do. "I think we should give her some space." Veronica takes my hand.

Veronica's POV

The next day, Heather and her dad come over. Heather avoids eye contact with both of us. At lunch, Hank brings up Heather Duke. "So Veronica, I heard about Heather Duke. You standing up for her was very brave especially us being in Ohio. You're a great friend." He smiles. I'm about to say thank you before I hear mumbling. "She's the only one she's a good friend to." I look at Heather, "I'm sorry but you're one to talk. You're the one constantly hitting on my boyfriend even though he's said multiple times that he didn't like you!" I get up and go outside.

I sit in the swing, feeling the autumn air. I hear the front door open and slam shut. "You didn't have to be such a bitch in front of my dad!" Heather yells. I stand up, "I didn't start that, you did! You were a bitch so I was one back! Doesn't change the fact that you're constantly hitting on JD! For god sakes, you're about to be related! Soon this crush is going to be gross." I cross my arms. "I'm sorry we can't all be perfect like you!" She takes a step forward. "I've worked hard for where I've gotten. I'm sorry you're jealous of my relationship and my success. That's not my problem! Don't blame me that you started crushing on him when we were together! You need to get it through that head of yours that JD chose me!" Heather slaps me. I laugh, "Feel better?" I ask. "Yes I do." She smirks. "Good!" I slap her back. She's about to lunge at me before JD runs out and grabs her. "Stop! This is ridiculous!" He is still holding Heather back. "Heather I don't like you! Stop getting mad at Veronica for that!" Heather looks at us, "Fuck you both!" She goes inside, but comes back with the keys and drives off.

JD looks at my face. "She really slapped you hard, didn't she?" I wince when he touches the mark on my cheek. "Yeah, well she's got a matching one. Though it might be a little bit more red." I joke. "Come here." JD rolls his eyes and kisses me.