Edge of Great (Part 2)

August 8, 1992

Veronica's POV

I wake up and get dressed. Today is the big day. I did not sleep well last night. So many things were going through my head. The breakup, Henry's comments, the photo that's probably already out in the public, and what JD did when he stormed out.

As I walk downstairs, the phone rings. It says the call is from the hospital. Who is in the hospital? Then it dawns on me that JD could be. "Hello?" I answer the phone. "Veronica?" Henry's voice says. Why the hell is he calling me? Why is he in the hospital? "What do you want?" The bitterness is evident in my voice. "I was just calling to apologize. I promise I won't show that picture to anyone. And I'm sorry for everything that I said." I'm guessing JD put him in the hospital. I hope he isn't there as well. Not just because he's my friend, but because we'd be screwed for tonight if he was. "I don't know if I can forgive you. You have put me and the people I care about through hell for so long." I don't even let him respond. I hang up.

I look at the clock. It's only eleven in the morning. I go to the attic for one final practice of the song. I use the option up I had practiced yesterday. "Ronnie I'm home!" My dad yells from downstairs. He comes into the attic, "Veronica, I have a friend coming to your show tonight. She has a contact in Boston that could help you get some shows." Wow. That would be so amazing. "Just make sure you perform as best as you can." He leaves me alone. It's rare to have someone discover you before you've even performed. JD is going to be so excited.

I show up a little bit before three. I set up the piano. When JD shows up, I grab him by the shoulders. "I have big news! My dad told me-" I notice the mark on his face. "What is that?" I can only assume it's the work of Henry. "I confronted him about you and I guess I offended him. He punched me so I punched him right back." He shows me his left hand. "Jason Andrew Dean! You punched someone the day before our big show!" He's shocked by my use of his middle name. "I'm sorry. But at least it was my left hand. It's also not that bad." I give him a look, "Jason, if it isn't that bad, why is Henry in the hospital?"

"I guess I hit him just right in his nose. He probably passed out from blood loss. He was bleeding a lot." He shrugs. I let it go. There's not really anything I can do about it now. "So what's this big news?" He asks. Oh yeah. "My dad told me he has a friend that's coming to the show tonight. She knows somebody in Boston that works in music that will help us get gigs. So we have to be on our A game tonight." I know we will be. We've worked so hard that failing is almost impossible. "Oh my God! That's amazing. And we will be on our A game. Don't worry."

We start rehearsal. "Okay so I was thinking of doing something a little different." I play through alone to show them the voice stuff I was planning on trying out. They really love it. "You have to sing it like that. Especially with that lady coming to hear us play." JD says. "Okay, I'll do it." We sing the song a few times, making sure we have it perfect. "Okay. I think we're ready. Anyone have something thing they wanna say before the show tonight?" The guys nod. "Perfect."

After we disperse, I force JD to go to the store with me. I drag him to the makeup aisle. "Okay. Let's see. Where is the concealer?" I search the shelves. "There is it!" I take a few and hold them to his face. "What are you doing?" He tries to protest. "We need some of this to cover the spot where Henry punched you." I find the right one. I grab a brush too and check out.

I drop him off at Dennis' to get his car. "I'll see you tonight." Then I go to Beanie's to meet Heather. I have to sing tonight so I just get tea. "So did JD tell you what he did?" Heather asks. "Yep. I was mad, I yelled his full name, but there was no reason to stay mad about it." I shrug. "What is his full name?" She leans in as if it's this big secret. "His middle name is Andrew." I whisper. She laughs. "What?" That is a perfectly normal middle name. "I just didn't expect JD's middle name to be so normal." She smirks. I roll my eyes. The door opens. "Oh hey, Alyssa!" Oh shit. I put my head down. Heather notices this and asks me about it once Alyssa leaves. "Did you guys break up?" She asks. "Yeah. She freaked out over the Henry thing and ended it."