Stand Tall (Part 1)

June 11, 1993

JD's POV

I get ready for my dinner with Robert. I haven't seen him for more than a couple minutes in almost three years. I've missed being his intern. He was nicer to his interns than the guy I interned for two years ago. He was an ass to his interns. He was also terrible to his other partners.

"Jason, how are you?" Robert and I sit down. "I'm great." I nod. "So I hear you got into music. Have you changed your mind about law?" I knew he'd ask that. "I'm still not sure yet. I had quit my internship but that was because he was awful. I wasn't learning anything from him. But I'm still taking my pre-law classes." I don't know what I'm going to do. I'd still like to do good, just maybe not with law. "Well it's fine. Whatever makes you happy. I heard you have a show today." He says. "Yeah, it's at my stepdad's." I remember Robert being at my mom's wedding. "So how is your mother and stepfather?" He asks. "Oh, they're great. My mom is actually pregnant." I don't think she's told anyone besides family. "Wow. You tell her I said congratulations." He smiles.

"But tell me about the show. Are you singing original songs?" Robert asks after we order our food. "We're singing original songs. I wrote most the songs with Veronica. But she wrote a couple of them herself." She should be really proud of them. I think tonight is going to go off without a hitch, as long as Veronica doesn't freak out. "That's great. I didn't know you wrote music." He says. "I didn't until I started with her." I think we work really well together. "I know this is a weird thing for me to ask you, but are you two still together?" He drinks from his glass. "No. We're just friends now. I think it works better this way." It does work better this way. I think I will always have feelings for her, but I know it's not good for us to be in a relationship. "Well, if you two are happy, then that's what matters." He says.

Veronica's POV

The guys and I are about to get ready. We're sitting on the couch. "So when is JD's lunch thing over?" Sam asks. "It should be done soon. But he said he'd meet us there." I tell him. "Cool." He nods. I glance at the grandfather clock in the corner. "I guess we should start to get ready. At least I should." I do have more to get ready. I begin to put my makeup on and then I get my dress. It's similar to the one I wore at the show we did with Ethan and Dennis, except it's blue with a floral design instead of white. The guys have now started to get ready. Wow, did I really take that long? I put my dress on, then wait for the guys. "You look great!" Owen says. "Thanks. You guys look great too." I smile. "Alright, let's go." We get into the car and go to the McNamara house.

JD's POV

After the bill is paid, I stand up. "Well I should get going. I have a show to get to." I say. "Okay, I hope we see each other soon and not three years from now." He jokes. "Me too." I feel bad we didn't see each other for three years. I get into my car. I had decided this morning to put my clothes in the car and change before going inside, in case there are people who come early and I'm just showing up.

Veronica's POV

"Hey guys! You're early." Heather smiles as we walk in. "Yeah, we wanted to do a quick mic check. Is JD here yet?" I hope he is. "No. But he should be soon." She assures me. "Great." I sigh. We go outside and the set up is amazing. The stage is really nice and there's a banner behind the stage that has our band name. JD had picked up the piano and drums this morning so they're already set up.

"This is nice." Owen admires it. "It really is. Heather outdid herself this time." I agree. I turn on all of our microphones. "Heather could you stand right here?" I point to JD's spot. "Sure." She gets up on stage. "I just need you to speak into the microphone to make sure his works. I don't want to wait until he shows up in case there's an issue." I tell her. "Okay. Testing. Testing." She says into the mic. "Thank you. That's all I needed." I give her a thumbs up.