⇢ january special

" Why are we waiting for fireworks to show up again?"

" It's the 31st of December you idiot," Diluc sighed hopelessly at his brother, who chuckled hearing his response.

" You don't seem to understand my question," the blue-haired male folded his arms, " I was wondering why we're standing out here in the cold instead of watching it from the window, watching some movies to kill time."

( Y/n ) stopped tieing her white shoelaces and looked up, her face both disgusted and confused, " Are you saying you'd rather sit in the toilet bowl looking at stupid videos? Really?"

Venti swung his arms around ( Y/n )'s shoulders once she finished talking, his nose as red as Rudolf, the so-called reindeer that had this big round nose that looked like a glowing red cherry right at the tip of its nose.

He had this thick knitted sweater sheltering him from the arctic snow and another layer of waterproof coat he had bought a week ago because the shop assistant in that one certain clothing store said it was guaranteed to keep you warm but still, the freezing weather was way too much for him to handle.

In short, what the shop assistant had said was apparently bullshit.

" Oh come on, ( Y/n ). It's not like you do that too," he winked at her as the ( h/c )-haired female tensed up, slapped his arm away, and stood a bit further from him with her arms crossed.

" Shut up..." she had to look down to avoid everyone's teasing stare at her for she was embarrassed, and not only did she do that but also had to cover her head with her jacket's hood.

" But you have to admit too, Venti, that you too once did the same thing," Ningguang spoke up, covering her sly smile with her scarf.

Albedo looked confused, " Why are we talking about toilets now?"

" I don't know man," the ( h/c )-haired female sighed, " We're just so bored. Trust me, in five minutes since we're too bored, we'll be talking about fish and seaweed and whether or not dinosaurs actually existed."

They have been standing in the same spot for about ten minutes now. No benches were seen and there were barely any people surrounding them, either because they have fallen asleep or because they found a much better place to enjoy the fireworks.

Zhongli had claimed that by standing in this spot, they were able to see the magnificent view of colorful fireworks and a better hearing of the booming sounds when they release them. Albedo, for some reason, couldn't bring himself to believe it.

" How much time left?"

" My lifespan?" Childe blinked twice, " How am I supposed to know man..."

" I meant how many more minutes until it's midnight..." Albedo shook his head in disappointment.

( Y/n ) chortled out loud like a hyena that Ganyu thought that there was a wild animal hiding so well in the bushes behind her. Her cackling made Venti laugh, and his laugh made Kaeya chuckle too.

" It's in five minutes!" Childe observed his watch.

New Year's was all about enjoying the bright fireworks and making promises, shouting resolutions with a white, scratched bullhorn, then having a small sleepover with the group of three friends. They did it every year, and there wasn't a single time they did.

( Y/n ) recalled the memory of how she would spend the New Year with Hugo when she was probably around six to ten too. Her parents were too busy with other things she was not familiar with and did not want to know. So, Hugo, who unexpectedly had the same kind of parents but was much more of a good person than the two ( l/n )s, would call her over in secret to watch the sky glistening at them on the rooftop.