Chapter 26: Pizza, Magic, Martinis, and Margaritas

Geralt follows Elena and Madzie out of the alley. Once they came out of there, the Witcher sees another familiar face he didn't expect to see.
"Roach?" He frowns a bit, wondering if he was seeing things, but the mare looked at Geralt like she recognized him. "Yeah, turns out, Roach got sucked into the portal too," Elena confirms, "I'm surprised she hasn't been freaking out from the strange new surroundings. Though I guess being on the road with a monster hunter, she might be used to it."
"Can I pet the horse?" Madzie asks. "I'm sure that would be okay, right Geralt?" Elena says. "Fine," Geralt concedes after seeing the eager look on Madzie's face.

"Did everyone else make it through the portal in one piece?" Geralt decided to ask as he got to Roach to lower her head low enough so Madzie could stroke her nose. "Simon and Izzy ended up somewhere else but they're okay," Elena confirms, "Yennefer and I managed to get Jaskier to Magnus' place and he was able to heal the bard from the demon poison." "So Jaskier is alright?" "Yeah, I'm sure he is," Elena shrugs, "I left to find you before Jaskier woke up, but I'm confident in Magnus' abilities."

Right on that cue, a police officer crosses the street and approaches. Geralt kept his guard up, not sure what this was person was doing. "Excuse me, sir, ma'am," the officer addresses. Sensing the Witcher's tense state, Elena decided to respond, "Can we help you officer?" "Is this your horse?" the officer questions. "Uh, well, technically it's his horse," she nods towards Geralt. "Sir, are you aware you can only ride your horse in designated areas of the city?" "I was not," Geralt simply states, "I should not think my horse's presence outside of those areas would be a problem." "Uh, he's new here," Elena tries to quip in. "Clearly," the officer says with sarcasm, "Be that as it may, having his horse here in this spot does violate several city codes and I'm going to have to write you up." "What if I just left and took my horse with me?" Geralt suggests. "Too late for that," the officer insists, "And I'm going to have to see some form of identification."

Geralt looks at Elena in a confused manner. The Shadowhunter's eyes widen a bit, not knowing what the Witcher could possibly show the officer for legitimate ID.

"Is there a problem here?" Elena sighed in relief when Luke came onto the scene. "And who are you?" the officer frowns. Luke shows the cop his badge, "You can through that ticket away these people are with me." "Including the horse?" "Including the horse." The cop offers apologies and turns to walk away. "Thanks for that, Luke, we owe you one," Elena says. "So this is the man you were tracking down," Luke eyes Geralt up and down, "What are you, some kind of warlock." "This is Geralt," Elena introduces, "And no, he's not a warlock, I will explain all that later. Right now we need to take Madzie to Magnus. Oh, and I believe Jace and Clary are back at the Institute in case you need to see them."

"I'll see them later," Luke assures, kneeling down a bit to give Madzie a quick hug, "Right now, I believe that other strange friend of yours ran off trying to catch up with you, but it looks like he got lost." "Jaskier's loose in the city?" Elena's eyes widen a bit, "He's not gonna survive long." "He's been through worse," Geralt shrugs. "Yeah well, this is New York, if the cars don't get him, someone or something else will." "I'll keep looking," Luke assures, "I'll bring him back to the Institute and we'll meet up there. Also, if you'll let me, I'll take that horse to the precinct. They'll give her some food and water and a place to rest in the stables."
Elena looked to Geralt who nodded and handed Roach's reins to Luke. Roach seemed a little hesitant though, as if she could sense there was something different about Luke.

"Let's get over to Magnus'," Elena says to Geralt once Luke leaves, "He's over in Brooklyn. It's a bit of a walk." "Was that man one of yours?" Geralt asks referring if Luke was a Shadowhunter. "He was," Elena answers, "Then he became one of the Downworld." Geralt frowned a little at that, "He's a werewolf," Elena elaborates. "Hmm," was all Geralt said in response.