Chapter 40: the Verdict

---------Outside the City of Bones------------------

Outside, Clary, Jace, the Lightwoods, and Jaskier stood outside, waiting in anticipation. Nobody knew what was going on inside, and no one was sure what to think about all this.

Despite the falling out from his family, Robert was updated on all the things that had happened with Elena and everything in between. The elder Lightwood was still processing it all right when Lydia Branwell came outside with Elena, Geralt, and Yennefer in tow.

The little walk was awkward to say the least.Elena had keep her eyes to the floor this whole time, not wanting anyone to see her embarrassment. Geralt, meanwhile would look anywhere except at Elena, or Yennefer, whom had that knowing look on her face. 

Lydia was kind enough to loosen the trio's bonds before she went back inside.

"Geralt!" Jaskier runs up to the witcher, "thank the gods, I almost thought something terrible had happened. What with those men in robes with their mouths and eyes sewn shut, I would've thought the same was going to happen to you. Hey, are you feeling alright, you look a little somber."
"Not now, Jaskier," Geralt tells him.

"Elena," Maryse was first to approach, pulling her daughter into a hug. "Hey, mom," Elena returns the hug, and then looks to see her father was also present, "Dad," she nods. Robert went to give Elena a hug, but the Shadowhunter stepped back, not wanting any contact from him. Robert took the hint and stepped back; but he did take notice of the gold chain that still hung from her jeans pocket, "I see you still have your chain. I was under the impression you, uh, had given it away."
"I still kept my chain dad," Elena reassuringly deadpans. "Yeah, you don't have to worry about that, dad," Isabelle speaks up, "Never mind your own daughter was just interrogated by the Clave and the Silent Brothers, as long as that little trinket you made for Elena is still intact."

Robert looked to Elena and then turned his gaze to Geralt and Yennefer, "So these are the people who've been causing a stir amongst the Clave," he states, "and just when I thought things would calm down now after defeating Valentine."
Neither mage nor witcher said anything.

Isabelle noticed the way Geralt was keeping his gaze from Elena; she wondered what had happened down there.

"So, what happened? How did the hearing go?" Alec asks. Again, no one said anything. A few moments later, Elena speaks up, "I'm not sure," she admits, "the Clave is now talking things over. I don't know what they're going to do."

"They can't do this," Isabelle shakes her head in frustration, "They can't punish you, El, you didn't do anything wrong." "Isabelle, I know you're upset," Robert interjects, "but the Law is-" "what law?!" Isabelle scoffs, "where in our law was anything about this ever written? Just a week ago we were worried about stopping Valentine from finding the Mortal Instruments, none of us knew about other worlds, at least not like this, where we were connected at one point. Nowhere in our law is there any rules or codes of conduct about any of this. How are we, or Elena for that matter, how was she to know what rules could she have possible broken?"

"...the Clave won't punish Elena," Robert assures, "I won't let it come to that." "Gee, thanks for that dad," Elena scoffs, "but I would prefer to know what the verdict is before you butt in." Robert knew Elena was still mad at him due to previous family drama, and as much as he wanted to defend himself, he knew it was not a good idea to air out dirty laundry in front of strangers. "You have every reason to be upset with me, sweetheart," he tells her, "but I won't let that stop me from trying to help my children."

Yennefer, Geralt, and Jaskier noticed the tension between Elena and her father, and the other Lightwoods for that matter. Neither Jaskier nor Yennefer knew about the family drama, but Yennefer figured it had to be something bad enough for Robert's children and his soon-to-be ex-wife too.