Chapter 9: Rise of the Demon Slayer

-------Witcher Dimension: Outskirts of nearby town--------------

Geralt and Elena had been on the road for three hours before they caught of the site of a town. Even though it was still late in the evening, there was still a small chance there would be a room for them in the inn for the rest of the night.

Not a word was spoken the entire time. Elena was still mad at Geralt for the way he handled the werewolf situation. Sure, she admits, the werewolves in this world were different from the ones she knew back home, but the shadowhunter still felt that something could've been done to help that wolf out. She felt certain that killing it was unnecessary.
In the Shadowhunter academy, she had learned that when fighting werewolves it was important to assess the situation and attack only out of self-defense. Killing a wolf was meant to be avoided and ONLY at the very last resort.

The way Geralt seemed to take that wolf's life so callously only made her imagine how different the situation would be if this happened in her world. She thought about how Jace almost got mauled by the werewolf Maia when she believed her brother killed one of her pack, no doubt she along with the rest of her pack would've done the exact same thing if it was anyone else, the Witcher included.

Speaking of the Witcher, Elena thought once again about the way Geralt killed the wolf and how he justified it with the concept of survival. It made her think back to the her first day in this world, how she was told that Witchers didn't have emotions. She didn't believe it then, but now she wasn't so sure...Witchers were trained to kill for a living, to kill monsters, maybe the emotions were pulled out of them so they could do just that without second guessing themselves or having any moral hang ups about taking a life.
On the other hand, she also thought about when Geralt told her he took no pleasure in killing the wolf...he made it quick, that was something. He could've just as easily killed in a way that it would've needlessly suffered.

It didn't change how Elena felt about the whole thing, but she also knew sooner or later she was going to have to come to terms with it, especially if she didn't want to waste extra time looking for someone else to help her out as a guide.

When they made it into town, the one thing both Elena and Geralt noticed was that many of the doors and windows were barred, like they were trying to keep something out.
"Guess they knew we were coming," Geralt attempts at humor, breaking the silence between them. Elena said nothing, but she could sense something was amiss here.

She took notice of the claw marks that littered the wooden boards to the doors and windows. They weren't wolf claws, there were way too many and they looked more like hooks. They did look familiar to her though.
Just to make sure though, the shadowhunter dismounted and approached the door, having one of her runes activated to confirm her suspicions. 

"Demons have been here," she states, "And it looks like they have definitely been terrorizing the town." "How do you know these are demons we're dealing with?" Geralt asks with skepticism as he dismounts Roach. Elena rolled up the sleeve of her tunic to show her activated rune, "I just know," she tells him, "Call it intuition. And judging by the blood stains covering the boards, people have already died."
"I suppose then you won't have any qualms about putting these creatures down if it means saving the rest of the town. You won't make a fuss about that?," Geralt says making Elena sigh in annoyance. "These are full fledged demons they can't be reasoned with," she explains, "it's an entirely different situation." "Is it?" "Yeah it is," Elena defends, "Look...*sigh* I don't want to argue about what happened earlier, all I want is to get back home, and I don't want to waste any extra time finding another guide to help me out. We're just gonna have to agree to disagree. Deal?"
"...fine," Geralt nods.

Right then, the barred door opened and inside appeared a man, "What the hell are you two still doing out at this hour?" the man scolds, "Don't you know there are monsters running loose right now?" "We weren't aware of such," Geralt explains, "We only just arrived not more than moments ago." "Oh strangers then, just what we need," the man said before taking a good look at Geralt, "Wait a minute, white hair, gold eyes, and that medallion. You must be the White Wolf. We were all fixing to find a witcher to help us out of this mess. Can you help us? I think I can speak for the whole town that we are desperate to be rid of those vile creatures. I promise we'll make it worth your while."

"What exactly do these monsters look like?" Elena quips in. "Oh trust me, lass, words are not enough to describe them," the man assures, "Look like they came from the deepest pits of hell, they did. Soulless eyes, hooked claws, nails sharp as daggers. I've never seen anything like it. They come out of nowhere in the dead of night, take whoever they can their claws on. We've lost more people then we can count...I'll never forget the look on me nephew's face when they bit his throat out."
"How long has this been going on?" Geralt frowns. "Oh, many weeks I should say," the man answers before an eerie sound gets their attention, "Oh no, they're coming," the man panics, "Drive them away and I'll promise we'll pay your weight in coin, Witcher." The man slammed the door and locked it.

"Weeks?" Elena frowns confused, "That can't be right." "Why is that?" Geralt questions. "...I've only been here a little over one week," Elena tells him, "I thought...I thought me going through the portal might have had something to do with this whole demon thing." "And why would that be?" Geralt asks suspicious.

Before she could answer, the demons the frightened local had described appeared and surrounded the two. "After you," Geralt offers. "How kind of you," Elena says sarcastically, seraph blade already in hand, "There's too many for one person to fight. I'm gonna need a distraction to separate them." "And that distraction would be me?" Geralt raises an eyebrow. "Just get enough of them to chase you," Elena directs, "leave the slaying part to me."
Geralt nods in understanding.

With the plan in mind, Geralt conjured a magic sign to shove half the demons away. That definitely got their attention fixed on the Witcher. Geralt ran through the streets, letting the demons take off in pursuit while Elena took care of the other half of the demon pack.

Once her part of the job was taken care of, Elena turned her attention to the demons that were chasing Geralt.
This time, the Shadowhunter pulled out her bow and arrow; with the demons focused on Geralt, Elena was be able to shoot arrows at them one by one.

Geralt allowed the last of the demons to give chase until he was backed into a corner. He was more than prepared to fight them off, even if he wouldn't be able to kill them. Before he could, Elena jumped in, blade in hand, and slayed the rest of them.
"Your welcome," Elena said afterwards. "If I recall you're the one who asked me to be bait," Geralt points out, "If anyone should be saying that it should be me." "Well you didn't necessarily have to agree to being bait," Elena sasses, "And you would've been demon meat if I didn't jump in to save the day. So again I say, you're welcome." "I could've easily taken the demons down in one fell swoop," Geralt counters. "You wouldn't have been able to kill them with your weapons," Elena argues back, "Even if you managed to evade them, they would've still been on your tail till you slowed down from exhaustion. So again I say-" "Don't say it," Geralt interrupts, getting annoyed which made Elena smirk a bit.

The sun was starting to rise, which meant it was morning. All the townsfolk had come out of their homes, realizing that the threat to their town had been vanquished.
It should be worth noting that many of the townspeople had witnessed the whole fight with the demons, many whom saw how Elena managed to kill them.

The people crowded around Geralt and Elena, many trying to get near the Shadowhunter complementing and congratulating her. Geralt was kinda pushed out of the way during this time.
"We never thought this day would come," one woman spoke to Elena, "You, girl, you did the impossible."
"You're her aren't you?" a child spoke up, "You're the demon slayer. The one the bard was singing about." "Demon slayer?" Elena frowned, "Wait, what bard told you about that?" "That, my good lady, would be me," Elena and Geralt turn at the sound of that familiar voice. 

"Jaskier," Geralt says. "You've been here this whole time?" Elena points out. "Oh not that long," Jaskier assures, "Long enough to sing the praises of Elena Lightwood the great demon slayer. Didn't I tell you people? She is real, and here she is, the woman who saved this town from that horde of terrifying demons."
The crowd look at Jaskier and then at Elena, "Three cheers for the demon slayer!" one of the men shouted.

And sure enough the crowd shouted cheers for Elena. Jaskier tuned his lute and sang the song he composed just for the demon slayer which the townspeople joined in.

Geralt stood at the sidelines as the crowd continued to sing Elena's praises. He noticed she didn't look too comfortable with all this attention she was attracting.

The man Geralt and Elena had spoken to earlier, before the demon fight, had shown up, and true to his word, he gave the coin that was promised to Elena.