Chapter 49: the Girl with Ashen Hair

----------Residence of Magnus Bane----------------

"Okay, what just happened?" Alec asks confused seeing the two kids in front of him, Magnus, and Elena.
Elena looked at the girl in front of her, having recognized her from her recent dreams, "it's her," she whispers to herself.

Ciri had no idea where she was or how she even got to this place. One moment she and the elf boy Dara were running from Nilfgaard soldiers in the forest and right when they were surrounded by said soldiers, the two of them somehow ended up in...well she wasn't sure what this place was. Her vision had blurred temporarily, but once it cleared she took in her new surroundings.
It looked like a place someone would live in.
The young girl turned her gaze to the three strangers in the room; the two men looked at her in curiosity, but the woman looked at her like she knew Ciri in some way, like she recognized her.
Ciri's gaze then turned to the marking on the woman and the man next to her.

Dara, meanwhile, took a little longer to get his bearings together, but when he did, he saw the three same strangers that Ciri was looking at, and he too wondered where was he and how did he end up here.

"Uh, hey," Elena tries to talk to the ashen hair girl, who looked at her rather scared, "Don't be afraid," the Shadowhunter tries to assure, "We're not going to hurt you, we just want to help. My name is Elena, what's yours?"

Dara saw the markings on Elena's arms and started to panic, "Run!" he tells Ciri, grabbing her by the arm and making for the door.
"No, wait! Stop!" Elena calls out, she, Alec, and Magnus going after the two kids.

Ciri and Dara ran out of the apartment and down the stairs.
"Wait!" Elena calls out as she ran down the stairs after them, "I not going to hurt you, I just want to talk to you!"

"Why are we running?" Ciri asks Dara, "You know them?" The elf didn't answer, but only kept running.
Eventually they made it to the ground floor and near the exit, but Ciri stops. "What are you doing?" Dara exasperates. "Dara, we don't even know where we are? Where are we supposed to go?" Ciri points out. "Doesn't matter," Dara insists, grabbing Ciri's hand, "We need to get as far away from them as we can." "But why?!" Ciri demands as they run out the door.

Both kids stop when they saw the scenery outside the apartment with the streets, buildings, and cars.
"Where are we?" Ciri whispers to herself.

Right at this moment, Elena and Alec made it out of the apartment complex and spot the two kids nearby. "Wait!" Alec calls out, but Dara grabs Ciri's hand again and the two start to run off.
A portal appears in front of the kids and Magnus steps out.
Magnus makes a grab for Ciri, but Dara managed to evade the warlock's grasp and run off. "I'll come back for you!" Dara calls out as he runs down the street.
Elena and Alec run up to Magnus and Ciri.
"I'll go after him," Magnus says and hands Ciri over to Elena so he could pursue the young elf.

Ciri tries to run as well, but Elena keeps a firm grip on the girl's arm, "Hey, hey," Elena says in a soothing tone, "it's okay." Ciri stops struggling to look at Elena and Alec, neither looked threatening enough to want to hurt her. "We're not going to hurt you, we just want to talk," Alec repeats what Elena had said earlier. "What about my friend?" Ciri asks concerned. "We won't hurt him either," Elena assures. "Then why did he run off when he saw you?" Ciri asks, "he was scared witless."
Alec and Elena exchange look, "I don't know," Elena admits, "but why don't we go back inside? We can make you some tea and give you some food if you want."
Ciri was still skeptical about all this, but her growling stomach got the better of her and she nods in approval.

"Can we have your name?" Elena asks as the three walk back into the building, "As I said before, mine is Elena. This is my brother Alec."
Ciri was silent for a moment before she spoke, "it's Ciri," she says. "That's a pretty name," Alec compliments. "Thank you," Ciri nods.