Chapter 48: A Vision Interpreted

------Institute Armory-----------------

"Any luck?" Elena inquires of Alec and Isabelle in regards to the investigation on the mysterious Owl. "No more leads, if that's what you're getting at," Isabelle tells her, "You alright? You look like you haven't been sleeping so well again." "I'm fine, it's all good," Elena assures, "just a fitful dream last night." 
"Well good news is there haven't been anymore incidents with the ley lines," Alec adds, "we have other things to worry about though."

"What do you mean?" Elena asks. Isabelle answers by handing her sister a fire message, "It's she from our dear mother."
"Oh no," Elena skims over the message, "Something tells me this might have something to do with the divorce being finalized."

"There you are," Magnus announces as he approaches the Lightwood siblings, "Good news, the core is off the ley line grid and free of any demonic corruption."
"That's good news, thank you," Alec flatly says.
Magnus frowned a bit, noticing the grim looks on Alec, Isabelle, and Elena's faces, "Alrighty then, I'll make myself scarce."
"We just got a fire message from Mom," Isabelle explains, "saying she's 'dropping by' for an impromptu 'family dinner.'"

"Those are a lot of air quotes," Magnus states. "Mom doesn't just drop by for anything," Alec tells him. "Yeah we were thinking this has to do with her and Dad," Isabelle adds, "They're finally making their divorce official."
"My condolences," Magnus says.
"Don't feel too bad, really, it's for the best," Elena assures, "Problem is, instead of feeling sad like a normal person, she starts trying to fix everyone around her."
"Which usually includes grilling her children on everything she thinks is going wrong in their lives," Alec deadpans.

"So, where are you holding this suspenseful dinner?" Magnus asks. "Well we can't do it here." "Definitely not here," Isabelle agrees with Elena. "The Institute tends to bring out her inner Inquisitor," Alec also adds.

"Maybe you can have it at my place," Magnus offers. "Magnus you don't have to-" "I insist. You can have the place all to yourselves."
"Wait, you should be there," Isabelle suggests to which Magnus quickly shakes his head no. "Oh come on, Magnus, you a powerful warlock are really so scared of our mother?" Elena says in disbelief. "She can be scary," Magnus admits.
"Think about it," Isabelle continues, "If Magnus is there, being his usual charming self, Mom won't have time to interrogate us."
"I am charming," Magnus agrees. "Humble too," Elena jokes.
"You don't think it's too much?" Alec asks. "Too much is my middle name," Magnus assures, "Look, clearly this is important to you, ergo, it's important to me. Hmm?" 

"Then it's settled," Elena says, "We'll have dinner with Mom at Magnus' place. I'll do the cooking this time around."
"You go ahead, I still have some work to do," Alec tells her. "So do I," Isabelle says as she notices she got a text from her phone.

Magnus and Elena leave the armory.

"Hey, can I talk to you?" Elena asks Magnus as they leave. "Sure, what's up?" Magnus nods, "no idea about what to make for this dinner?" "No, it's not that, it's something else," Elena tells him.

"I've...I've been having these dreams lately." "Is that something Shadowhunters usually don't have?" Magnus frowns a bit. "No- I mean yes, I mean....it's the same dream I've been having over and over again these last couple weeks," Elena admits, "they keep taking place in Ger- that world. It's always the same place with the same event and the same person, and I'm starting to think it means something." "Is that same person Ger- uh, that one guy?" "No," Elena shakes her head, "it's some else entirely, I've never met them before. I need to know why I keep having these dreams, these visions. Think you can help me?"

Magnus thinks about,  "I'll see what I can do," he tells her, "we'll talk more about it after dinner."

Elena nods and Magnus conjures up a portal to take the two of them to his place to prepare for dinner.