Chapter 3: An Unusual Encounter

Elena opened up her eyes as the sun rose. It was morning. As she absorbed her surroundings, Elena expected to be back at the Institute, back in her bed, and start making plans with Alec and Isabelle, and the others for what to do about their current situation. Everything she did the day before was nothing more than a dream.

Alas, looking around, Elena realized she was in still at the inn. She hadn't been dreaming and everything that happened from falling through the strange portal up to now had really happened. Fighting the monster in the swamp, working in this inn, meeting a man with golden eyes that she would've mistaken for warlock marks was all real.

Seeing she was in her camisole, and seeing her clean, dry clothes laying on the chair by her bed, Elena got up and put them back on. She then parted her long black hair in the middle and fashioned two braids to which she tied back like the way Isabelle taught her how.

Walking out her room and about to exit the inn, the innkeeper stops her, "oi, you're not staying for breakfast?" The older woman inquires, "it's a long way to...wherever it is you're going." "I guess I should eat something before hitting the road," Elena says. The innkeeper gives her a plate of eggs and a pint of ale. "Do you have anything else to drink by chance?" "Well we have fresh goat's milk if that will suite you," the innkeeper answers to which Elena accepts. Juice would've been better but she couldn't complain.

"Hey, this might come off as a stupid question," Elena begins, "but the man that came in yesterday, with the white hair and gold eyes. You called him a Witcher, what is that exactly?"

"Where you been at?" The innkeeper frowns, "never have heard of a witcher? Mutants the lot of them, enhanced by magic, trained to kill monsters. The one that stayed here, that was the White Wolf himself. I'd be careful getting mixed up in witcher business; they bear no emotions. The only thing they care about in this world is coin."

Elena was somewhat skeptical at this description. Mundanes had a tendency to generalize and write off what they feared. Her shadowhunter brethren, herself included, and though many of them would not admit it, were just as guilty when it came to describing downworlders.

Finishing her breakfast, Elena walked out the door and followed the main road.

Again, the shadowhunter found herself in a position where she had no idea where she was going. She should've asked at the inn where was the best way to go. She was already an hour in on her trek by the time she realized this. What was she to do?
Maybe she kept going to this nearest town, she could find another monster to fight. If there's money involved it would do her good to try and work for it. She has her weapons on hand, why wouldn't she try it? Fighting a monster wasn't too far off from fighting a demon.

Looking to make sure no one else was on the road, Elena rolled up her sleeve and used her stele to activate her glamour rune. Now this way no one would be able to get the jump on her on the road.

A few more hours had passed and it was soon high noon. Elena's stomach began to growl. It's probably around lunchtime, she figured, but where was she going to find food in the middle of nowhere?

Something in the air got her attention as she took a whiff. Following the direction into the forest, she could see faint smoke. Someone must be cooking meat or something, that sounded promising. Walking a little further in, Elena also heard the sound of a string instrument. What was it, a lute, something medieval like? Elena may not have paid that much attention in mundane history at the Shadowhunter Academy, but the lute was a familiar instrument from medieval history.

Sure enough, Elena found a little area in the woods that was used as a camp sight. By the camp fire sat a somewhat skinny looking man who seemed preoccupied with composing a song. Elena had to laugh a little as this man was clearly a bard based on the way he was dressed. Over the fire was a skewer of meat, just ripe for the taking. Elena walked up to this bard and waved her hands in front of him to get his attention. He couldn't see her past the glamour, which meant he did not possess the sight. Good, which meant he wouldn't notice her skimming some of the meat. The Shadowhunter woman felt a little guilty, but hunger got the better of her.

Quickly pulling at some of the chunks of meat, Elena devoured her pickings in a matter of seconds.
Finally satisfied, and not wanting to rouse suspicion, Elena got to her feet and turned to leave, but as she did, she ran into what she was almost certain was a wall of bricks, causing her to fall down.

"Ow," Elena groans, rubbing her nose where she hit it. Looking up, a pair of familiar gold eyes meet hers. It was the Witcher. What were even the odds she would've seen him again?
Elena stood still, not sure if this white-haired man could even see her.

The Witcher's piercing eyes narrow and Elena just knew he could see her.
"Who the fuck are you?" he asks in a deep gruff voice. "I'm sorry, Geralt, were you talking to me?" the bard in question speaks up.
Eyes wide, Elena's primal fight-or-flight instincts kicked in...in this instance, she chose flight over fight, which would've been the other way around under ordinary circumstances.

Elena ran through the woods as fast as he runes would allow her. She dared not look back, not wanting to know if this witcher had tried to pursue her; if he was, would he be able to catch up with her?

When she jumped over a creek, Elena was sure she had put some good distance between her and the camp sight, or more specifically, him.
Panting, Elena sat down by the shore of the creek, wondering why she was even exhausted; she's used this rune countless times before and she couldn't even remember the last time she tired from activating this rune.
Come to think of it, she was beginning to wonder why she ran off like that in the first place, and from a mundane no less. At least she thought he was a mundane, but he had the sight, he saw past the glamour. 

Elena felt a sense of shame for acting so cowardly; she'd stared down a Greater Demon, fought Valentine, hell, she even faced a giant monster the first moment she came to this world. What could possibly make this witcher person any different? What made him more scary then all that? Surely it wasn't what the innkeeper had told the shadowhunter, as she didn't think to take those words to heart. Or did she?

Elena laid back on the shore, hoping some rest would help before she decided to continue her trek. She knew she would have to take a different route as she didn't want to risk running into the Witcher again, especially since that was his food she skimmed off of.
Right now Elena was wishing she was back home, and even though she was glad Clary hadn't jumped in after her, she wished she had someone to talk to.

Eventually, Elena dosed off. By the time she woke up it was near dark. That wasn't a big deal as this wasn't the first time Elena's walked through the dark; if anything it brought back some oddly fond memories from when she went on her first demon hunting missions.

Once more, Elena heard and saw flocks of birds fly through the woods as if they were fleeing. Was there another monster lurking around? Elena should turn and run in the opposite direction, but...if killing monsters earned money then maybe the Shadowhunter would have an easier time navigating this place.

Running towards where the birds fled, Elena stopped in her tracks the moment she saw what was in front of her. A giant monster, different from the one she saw before, was present and, much to Elena's dismay, was the Witcher. Also to her amazement this man was taking the monster head on.
Elena thought about helping, but part of her was curious to see this man in action. Elena then chose to stand on the side lines and witness the battle that was about to take place.

The Witcher took his fighting stance, heavy swords in hand and soon enough he charge at the monster. Elena was impressed to say the least; there was a chance if this man ever came up against one of her brethren he might actually succeed in combat. She couldn't help but notice though that the Witcher seemed possessed based on the look in his eyes.

She didn't dwell on it for long as the monster struck a blow, sending the Witcher against a tree. Elena thought to get up and help, but it didn't take long for the Witcher to get back on his feet and bring the fight back in his favor. Before long, the battle was won and the monster was slain.

If she weren't hiding, Elena would've given the Witcher a round of applause.

"Do you plan to come out and play anytime soon?" the Witcher asks, "Or do you hope to sneak around and steal more of my food again?"

Elena's eyes went wide, realizing the Witcher knew she was there this whole time.

Having been caught, and not wanting to run anymore, Elena stepped out from behind the trees and stood before the Witcher face-to-face.