Chapter 37: Besides Still Water Part 3

Some steamy stuff a little further into the story.

---------New York Institute------------

Once back at the Institute, the gang waited in anticipation for from Jace or Clary.

Elena made circular motions with her shoulder during this time, the same shoulder that was struck when that demon popped out of the rift and knocked her on her feet.
"Are you alright?" Geralt asks with concern. "I think that demon may have dislocated my shoulder," Elena admits, "Any chance you know how to pop it back in?"

Geralt seemed hesitant, "I don't think that's a good idea," he admits, "Don't want to hurt you anymore then you already are." "It'll be fine," Elena assures, showing him exactly what to do.

"Any sign from Jace and Clary?" Magnus asks of Alec, who was busy looking at the map of the city. "No," Alec answers, "They should be arriving at Lake Lynn by now."
On that cue, Isabelle approached the group, "Strange," she says, "the aerial sensors show no demonic activity." "Yeah, there's nothing on the ground either," Alec agrees, "It's like the adomei completely disappeared."

"I've never heard of that," Magnus says, "Once they pass through the rift, the demons are here to stay until they're properly banished."
"Then where the hell are they?" Alec wonders out loud.

"Alec seems a little on edge," Yennefer notices. "I would be too if I was in his shoes," Elena quips in, making both Geralt and Yennefer look at her rather strangely.
"Alec and Jace are parabatai," Elena explains, which only made the two even more confused. "Para what?" Yennefer frowns. "It's...I'm not quite sure how to explain it," Elena admits, "see...imagine two people who are connected, platonically, they share a piece of each other's soul. It's a unique bond between two shadowhunters; they feel what the other feels, they hurt when the other hurts...and if one dies...it's a very special bond. Very few shadowhunters ever get to have one like that."

  "Do you have a bond like that with anyone?" Geralt asks, to which Elena shakes her head, "Never met anyone I could connect to like that."

Suddenly, Alec grunts and gasps like he was in pain. He doubles over, getting everyone else's attention. "Alexander are you okay?" Magnus asks in concern.

Alec lifted his shirt to reveal his parabatai rune which was burning and fading. "Alec...your rune," Elena says eyes wide. "Jace," was all Alec says as he falls to the ground, his parabatai rune disappearing.
As Alec gasps for air, Elena and Magnus kneel down next to him. Alec pulls up his shirt again to his rune was gone.

"I...I can't feel him...He's dead," Alec says, sadness seeping from his eyes. Tears fell from Elena's eyes as she pulls her brother in to comfort him.
Neither Geralt nor Yennefer were sure what to do in this situation. They didn't know Jace, and they both had an idea of how close the Lightwoods were to Jace given their history. But with Alec they didn't know just how close he was with Jace, now knowing about the parabatai concept. If Alec and Jace really did share pieces of their soul, and Jace really was dead...then part of Alec had just died with him.

Elena's fist clenched as she stood up, "He's going to pay for what he did." No one had to ask whom she meant, knowing full well Valentine was the reason Jace was dead and Alec was suffering for it.

"We need to stop Valentine before he summons the angel."

Nodding, Magnus conjures a portal to take the gang to their destination.

----------Idris border: Lake Lynn------------

Once they made to the lake, a bright, angelic light beamed up in the sky, too bright for anyone to make out any kind of image, but the shadowhunters knew what was going on. "We're too late," Isabelle realized. "He's raised the angel," Magnus adds.
"Magnus, you need to get to safety," Alec tells him. "We need to find Jace and Clary," Magnus insists.