Chapter 2: the Man with Golden Eyes

It felt like forever, but Elena finally caught sight of a town right up ahead. Much to her relief as the rain storm had become a monsoon at this point.

Picking up the pace, Elena walked into town and found an inn. She didn't have any money on her, but whoever was in charge of the inn might be kind enough to let her stand inside until the storm subsided.

Elena stepping into the inn, dripping from head to toe. The one good thing about being caught in this rainstorm was that the rain managed to wash away most of the mud and guts from her fight with that giant, non-demon monster.

As she wringed out her rain soaked hair, the elderly innkeeper showed up, "what can I do for you, lass?" she inquires. "Oh," Elena says, realizing she didn't think to use her glamour rune. Too late now, "Uh, I don't have any money, but if you let me stay here on this spot till the rain lets up, I'll be on my way, I won't be any trouble. You won't even know I'm here." "Nonsense," the innkeeper insists, "if you no coin, there are other ways you can pay off your debt. Look at you, you are soaked to the bone. I'll tell you what, you help out with the dishes I'll have your clothes cleaned  and dried and you can have a room for the night with a hot meal and a bath." 

Elena wasn't sure about this, but in her current situation, she thought it best to take this mundane up on her offer, "I think that sounds fair, ma'am. Thank you." "I thought you would say that," the innkeeper nods, "Now let's get you out of these," she gestures to her wet clothes, "I have some dry garments in the back that should fit you." Elena nods as the innkeeper leads her to the back where she could change in private. "By the way," Elena asks, "You didn't happen to see anyone else walking around in similar clothes to mine? Might have red hair perhaps?" "Only one crazy enough to be out in this storm is you, dear," was the innkeeper's answer.

The garments Elena was offered weren't like she was used to. They were medieval looking to say the least. Yep, she thought, this definitely wasn't her world she was in anymore. Putting them on, Elena was grateful that at least these garbs could cover most of her runes so no one would stare at her.

After changing, Elena stepped out and was soon set to work. It was easy so far as mostly she had to serve guests and wash dishes. It didn't help though that some of the men tried to get a little handsy with her as they kept downing the pints of ale. Much as Elena wanted to break their fingers, she didn't want to risk getting kicked out or gaining attention to herself.

While Elena was back washing the dishes, she heard the door fling open. Looking out to see who it was, Elena sees a tall man in a hooded cloak step into the inn. The innkeeper greets him as he hands her coin to stay for the night.
Lifting his hood, Elena could fully see his snow white hair, but what was most striking to her were his eyes. Unlike Magnus Bane, whose eyes were more cat like, this man's eyes seemed to be bright golden.

Was this a warlock, Elena wondered to herself, do they have warlocks in this world? If he was, maybe he could help her find her way back home. The shadowhunter also took note of the wolf pendant that hung around the man's neck.

"You looking worse for wear, Witcher," the innkeeper comments as she hands the man a pint of ale, "I take it your job was a success?"
Elena frowned a bit overhearing the conversation what the hell is a witcher? She thought.
"Someone already did the job for me," the Witcher admits, "the creature was already dead before I got there. Who ever killed it didn't think to bring back its head as proof for the reward."

Elena thought back to when she encountered that monster in the swamp. She had no idea people put up bounties for killing monsters...then again, after what she went through fighting that thing it seemed highly understandable.

"So you take credit for it then, Witcher?" The innkeeper asks. "I take no credit," the Witcher shrugs, "I simply took the coin." "If you say so," the innkeeper shrugs back as the man heads for his room.

Elena still had no idea what a witcher is, but she had a feeling he may or may not be able to help her get home after all.
The shadowhunter stepped out from the back, "I finished with the dishes," she informs. "Well you sure made fast work of that," the innkeeper comments, "I suppose you've paid your dues for the the evening. You can head up to your room, someone will come in later with a tub for you to bathe in."
"Thank you," Elena nods.

Her room was small but homely, at least there was a bed. There was also a fireplace. Since no one else was in the room, and Elena still had her stele handy, she wasted no time to cast a fire rune to in the hearth and warm the place. Another thing Elena was grateful for was that her runes still worked in this place too.
Soon enough a tub was brought and filled with water.

Once alone, Elena quickly took off her clothes and stepped in. The water was ice cold, something Elena should've realized when she noticed a little pitcher by the tub that was probably used to heat water by the fireplace. Lucky for her, she had a rune for that.

As the water warmed and she finally relaxed, it only started to just get to Elena that she wasn't in her world anymore. She had no idea where she was and she didn't know how to get home. What was she gonna do? What would her siblings do without her? Her parents? Her friends? Valentine might be in Clave custody but the mortal cup was still missing and relations between the shadowhunters and the Downworld were still tense, especially after what happened when one of the Seelies started killing shadowhunters and taking their runes as trophies.
Not to mention Alec was just appointed head of the New York Institute and was still working at establishing his leadership. What would her twin brother do without her?

Laying in the tub for just a little while longer, Elena finally got out and dried herself with a provided towel.
By the time she put her borrowed dress back on she heard a knock at the door.

Somewhat startled, Elena cautiously opened the door, only to sigh in relief when it was just one of the servant girls, bringing in her dried clothes. Thanking her, Elena closed the door and removed her dress. Since she was about to go to bed she only put on her camisole which reached to her thighs.

Laying in the surprisingly comfortable bed, Elena closed her eyes, exhausted from a long and very strange day.