Chapter eight: Water droplets

The girl stood staring at the man in front of her. His long black hair, usually neat, was a complete hot mess. His eyes, looking more tired than usual, contained a sexy spark, which caused butterflies to roam through all of mac's body.  His charming white smile, was cut down to the half of what he used to show, letting a side grin form on his lips, managing to make Mac's breath to hitch at the gesture. A few droplets of sweat slided down the side of his face, down to his neck, making Mac realize he had been running. His right forearm was placed strongly on her doorframe, making him lean to this direction as he rested his body weight on it. Corpse wasn't the type to work out 7 days a week, but still, his body could be considered nice. Mac didn't have the time to detail it before, nonetheless, as he stood leaning on her door frame, her eyes wandered through the man's body unintentionally, noting how his muscles tensed as a result of the position he was in. As her eyes wondered, she noted how dark it was behind him, the blackness of the night giving a contrast with the towering figure in front of her. Her eyes fell on the digital watch he was wearing on his left hand, which was placed nitely just above his hip bone, letting the veins on it pop out, and she read 3:46 am on it.

 A feeling of déjà vu invaded her body, as she recalled one time the guy had leaned on her door frame, the exact same way he was leaning at the moment. The time when she got to see more of her best friend, as he made her heart beat faster in more than just one way. The time when droplets of water got mixed in all sorts of ways, and their feelings were not described with a simple word.

It was 2 months ago, by the end of senior year's first bimester.

It was a rainy October evening. Monday, start of exam week.

"I will laugh my ass off if you slip," Corpse commented as they ran through the pouring rain, towards Mac's house.

"Well, i'm not helping you out if you do!" she laughed, running in front of him.

They had planned an alleged study afternoon for Mac's physics test on tuesday. Even if everyone knew Corpse wasn' t the best student, he did pretty well in math- related topics. Therefore, at the moment in which he'd offer her help with the formulas, she had agreed, a part of her, not wanting to fail her test, and the other, wanting him to keep her company.

However, their planned study afternoon had been postponed as a result of their inability to get home on time. Mac had planned a detailed schedule for the day, a thing that she wouldn't usually do, but for once, she tried being organized. First, they'll get out of school by 4, get into Corpse's car and be home by 4:15. Later, they'll eat a snack, to start studying at 4:30 up until 7, when they'll stop for dinner and spend the rest of the night watching some movie or playing video games,until he had to leave. It was monday, therefore, Mac knew girls wouldn't be texting Corpse as often as if it were a weekend. It was the perfect plan. Yet, she didn't take into account the fact that that day Corpse had taken his car to the workshop, nor that they'll end up leaving school by 5:30 as a result of an unexpected school meeting, and especially not the fact that it would rain.

So they were running, drenched in water, towards her house, as Corpse's digital watch marked 5:58pm.

As they arrived, she entered the house first and left the door open for him to follow her while she took her shoes off, knowing her mom would kick her out if she left stains on the floor.

"I'll get you a towel and one of your hoo-" Mac said, as she placed her school bag on the floor and then turned around to look at the male.

She was left dumbfounded.

The guy was standing, leaning on his arm, as he breathed fast in an attempt of stabilizing his heartbeat. While his uniform,stuck to his body as a result of the water. His hair, clinging to his forehead with a mix of raindrops and sweat. His mouth, a bit open, as he needed support to breath, made his red tongue peek out.