Chapter sixteen: Defense

Numbness invaded her head as the night consumed her room. Her head felt heavy while her thoughts wandered non stop, recalling her last conversation with Corpse. The trail of already dry tears present on her cheeks, her nose tinted a light shade of pink and her curved lashes gave her crying away. Her room was dead silent,managing to make the mess in her head even louder. She had been ignoring her phone for hours now, not wanting to face the continuous "How did it go" messages from her friends. For Mac, it seemed easier to say she had fallen asleep than to answer those messages right away, she wanted to forget about everything, yet her mind had different plans.

Deep inside her, she knew Corpse didn't really mean anything of what he had said, it was his defense mechanism. She had seen him fight millions of times with the boys, she knew he used to throw words to the air just to mask his true feelings. But it didn't make her feel any better. After all, behind every lie there's some truth.

As hours went by and the sun rose, Corpse didn't show up in the morning to pick her up, just as expected. Not wanting to worry her parents, she opted for asking Karin for a lift, begging to the gods for her friend to minimize her questionnaire at least for that day. Nonetheless, as the pipsqueak picked her up she couldn't help but rethink her choices.

"Did you two get to talk yesterday?" was her friend's greeting.

"Good morning to you too, your decency never fails to surprise me" Mac answered, in her best sarcastic voice. Maybe sarcasm was to her what hurtful words were to Corpse, the best defence mechanism.

"You always call me out for the routines, just start talking already" the smaller one replied.

"Today's weather is cloudy, with a rainy tendency, Sunset might start around 6 p.m, with a cold night ahead" Mac spoke, making her best attempt at mimicking a weather girl's voice.

"About you and Corpse! What did he say to you" Karin insisted.

"Words"

"I'm serious! Did he answer your question?"

"What question?" she continued her act

"About who Emily is" The driver answered, already knowing the conversation was pointless, if Mac didn't want to talk, she wouldn't.

"No"

"Are you gonna ask again?" The girl with the red hair turned to look at her friend for a split moment before looking back to the road.

"No" Mac replied.

"Why not?"

"Don't want to"

"Did you break up?" her friend's voice resonated in her ear

Was that a break up? They weren't officially broken up, they never asked for space or something close to a break up whatsoever. Yet, the ache in her chest was definitely not just because of a fight.

"No"

"Do you want to talk about it?" the small one questioned

"No" Mac replied, ending her friend's questionnaire.

As they got to school, Mac noted how Corpse's usual parking spot was empty, making her wonder if their argument was enough for him to skip school just to avoid her.

Her assumption was only accentuated when she entered her classroom and the guy with dark locks was nowhere to be found. Her friends gave her one look, noticing how her eyes lowered as she looked to the back of the classroom and immediately understood something was wrong.

This once, they shared a couple of words and decided it was better trying to distract her than to make a questionnaire out of the girl.

So they did their best to get her mind off her boyfriend throughout the day, continuously talking to her, asking her to draw things, telling her jokes and giving her food.