Chapter ten: Three unsaid things

The words resonated in both of their ears. The girl looked up at the guy who was just a few inches taller than her, afraid of his reaction as her mind echoed with the words that just had left her lips. It was an act of reflex. A part of her wanted to tell him and get over it already, but another part of her, knew she was getting herself into trouble. Therefore, she cursed at herself for speaking her mind, not conscious of the consequences it might bring her. She waited for the guy to say something in return with expectant eyes, yet, he stood staring at her with the same face as before.

Her heart shattered.

So she just kept talking. She had already embarrassed herself, what was the worst thing that could happen?

"I fell for you without even knowing it, and Jesus, does it hurt that you can't see it"

She tried to free herself from the guy's grip on her, as she looked somewhere else but his face, ashamed of what she had just said.

"i knew" he finally spoke with the piercing voice that characterized him as it echoed through her mind, managing to push her own voice away. The guy tightened his grip on the girl, as he kept her from moving away from him, his eyes focused on her face as she looked up to him once again.

"You knew?" she spoke half confused, half hurt.

"I suspected it, i wanted you to tell me by yourself in case that it was not real" he commented, as it was not a big deal, as the outline of a smile formed itself on his lips.

Was he making fun of her?

This really made her feel stupid. He knew all along and he wouldn't even ask her about it, nor comment about it, and now he was just making fun of her?

Mac looked away ashamed of herself, and wanting the earth to swallow her.

However, as her eyes looked elsewhere, a pair of big, strong manly hands cupped both of her cheeks, turning her face upwards towards where the guy's eyes were.

"I knew because you kept saying we're just friends but you looked at me for a moment too long for it to be true" He commented, looking at her straight into her eyes, "you look at me, the exact same way i look at you when you're not watching."

At the moment the words left his mouth, her heart started beating quickly, she had never heard someone say something like that to her. Things like that only happened in books or in movies. Nonetheless, even if his words made her heart start galloping, she knew her best friend, and she knew he used to get himself out of situations by joking around.

"Don't joke arou-" she started speaking, but his grasp grew tighter on her cheeks, in an attempt of making her stay focused on the truth that only his eyes managed to speak.

Mac knew about lies. She knew better than anyone how words can hide the truth, how smiles can mask the pain and how hugs can ease the ache. But she also knew how even if you try to change everything else, your eyes always spoke the truth. And this time, the eyes staring at her, spoke words unable to hear, but loud enough for her heart to understand the message.

"Ever since the first time i heard your laugh, three things have been stuck in my head"

"I" he spoke as he placed his right index finger on his chest as his left hand stood still cupping her cheek.

"Love" he continued as he took his finger and placed it on her arm, as he drew a heart on the surface, the gesture making shivers go down the girl's spine.

"You" he concluded, as he let her go, freeing her from his grasp, his voice coming out hoarser than before.

The girl stared at him, trying to process everything that he had just said, as her heart wanted to get out of her chest, both from the excitement and nervousness, yet, a part of her coudn't comprehend. If he actually did like her, why did he flirt so much with other girls, even when she was around? What certified her that this was not just another one of his jokes, and he'll get another girl as the week passes by? Mac wouldn't admit it, but her own insecurities, mixed with the tendencies Corpse had, made her anxious about what he said.