Chapter fifteen: Insecurities

Corpse planted a kiss on her cheek before taking his things and walking towards the door. Her heart ached with every single one of his actions as his betrayal stung her hard. Her head hurt, as she recalled the message on his phone, her hands sweated, nervous for what might happen, and her mouth felt dry, unable to pronounce a single word.

"Corpse" her voice came out in a raspy tone. She proceeded to clear her throat, attempting for her voice to sound steadier.

The male turned to look at his girlfriend as his hand rested on the doorknob, about to leave.

"Hm?"

As his brown orbs met her dark ones, she was left speechless.

What was she even going to say?

Corpse noted as her face twisted and her hands played with her fingernails.

"I'll stay longer tomorrow i promise" he said, before opening the door and stepping out of her heart.

As the door clicked close behind him, a million thoughts raced inside the girl's mind. Who was this Emily girl? For how long have they been seeing each other? Why was he even seeing her?

Was she not enough?

Was it because she had no experience?

Or she just wasn't what he needed?

What he wanted?

What hurt her the most was the feeling of being betrayed by her own best friend, the one she had shared all of her secrets to, the one who was always there for her.

She wasn't ready to be heartbroken just yet, they had been dating for a couple of months already, and he had never given her any reason to doubt him, nor to think he could be cheating.

Maybe the signals were always there, she was just too caught up in her favorite fairy tale to even notice.

She pulled the bed covers up higher to cover her whole body with it, resting the mess of her head in her pillow as she hugged the other one tight to her chest.

Her mind went back to all the times he had been acting distant that week, how his kiss burned, instead of giving her the usual butterflies. How his eyes were glued to a transparent screen and not to her eyes. How his hands held a clear case instead of her fingers.

Why did she even think he would leave everything behind just to be with her?

Those types of things only happened in tv shows, books, wattpad stories, it wasn't real life.

She felt salty tears peek out her dark eyes and wet her white pillow.

It hurt to know she wasn't as important to him as he was to her.

It hurt to know those little fears she had at the back of her head were right.

It hurt to know that in the past months he was her everything while he thought that was everything she had to offer.

Mac turned to her night table and looked for her phone as her watery eyes let some tears drop in the meantime. She unlocked her phone and went into the music app, doing what any heartbroken girl would do.

Play Sour by Olivia Rodrigo at full volume.

She blocked her phone and let the audio go by as she went back to her position on her bed, hugging herself as the trails of water abandoned her tear ducts.

"Brown guilty eyes and little white lies

Yeah, I played dumb but I always knew

That you'd talk to her, maybe did even worse"