A Goodbye's Hello

Setting: the first chapter of Caraval, the final part of the "Falling For The Sailor" mini-series

"Falling For The Sailor"
5/5

"Can we do something other than pretending to be kissing?" Julian asked hesitantly, shifting from foot to foot as he and Tella stood in the barrel room of the Dragna estate.

"Why do you care?" Tella asked with a hint of accusation to her eye.

Because he didn't want Scarlett's already fragile heart to break.

"I just think there are other ways to go about this," he said instead, "things that are a little less risky."

"Riskier than making out with my sister in a public club?" Tella tilted her head to the side and her eyes narrowed.

Julian choked on air, "How- how did you-"

"I'm not blind. I can recognize my sister in a public place, it really isn't that hard." Tella rolled her eyes. "What I don't appreciate is you playing with my sister."

Julian didn't like the way Tella used the word playing, "I wasn't playing with her. I tried to walk away at first - she did too - but we just couldn't. Until a week ago when we decided it was too risky to continue. I haven't seen her since, no matter how much I want to. Please, Donatella, I might have a shot."

"You're going to get yourself killed before Caraval even begins." Tella crossed her arms stubbornly, "I'm not doing this because you have a shot. I'm doing this because I don't want Scarlett to be hurt."

"Thank you, Donatella. I agree, I don't want to hurt her either."

"Dona - tella!" Scarlett's voiced called as she marched down the stairs quickly.

"Scar!" Tella said with fake surprise.

I've never been so thankful for improv practice, Julian thought.

Scarlett froze as her eyes darted between him and Tella, her words catching in her throat.

"What are you two doing down here?" Scarlett asked quietly, trying to cast a blank expression over her face. It isn't working very well, Crimson.

"We were just talking about you actually. I was telling Julian over here that he needed to stay away-"

"Tella, mind if I borrow you for a moment?" Scarlett managed to nod somewhat formally at Julian before weaving through the barrels out of his hearing range.

He didn't pick up on what they were saying until Scarlett's last sentence.

"... I've never heard of Isla de Los Suenos but I know it's not one of the Conquered Isles."

That was his cue.

"I know where it is." He stepped out from behind several rum barrels, flashing the smile that he had flashed at Scarlett quite a few times before.

"This doesn't concern you." Scarlett waved him away with her hand, trying to ignore him.

He looked at her strangely, she was acting very different. Then again, he was acting too.

"I'm only trying to help. You've never heard of this isle because it's not part of the Meridian Empire. It's not ruled by any of the five Empires. Isla de los Suenos is Legend's private isle, only about two days' journey, and if you want to go there I can smuggle you onto my ship, for a price." He eyed the third ticket, smoothing along his performance. If he wasn't acting, he would've done it for free, but he had a role to play.